Electric cars are just starting to get popular. Kids and adults are getting excited and I’ve put this guide together to help any parent looking for the best and reliable electric car for kids in 2020. You can also find detailed comparison and reviews of the 10 best electric cars for kids and toddlers of all ages from ages 2 to 10 and up.
As a parent with two toddlers, I understand how important electric cars are to kids. The cars give them a sense of freedom and my toddlers usually try showing off their advanced maneuvering skills in different terrains.
We have done extensive research, analyzing over 32,000 reviews of electric cars for kids and consulting three experts who were kind enough to offer their perspective.
Ranking Factors of Electric Cars for Kids
- Type of tires
- Weight it can support
- Space in the car and back storage
- Speed of the car
List of top 10 Electric Cars for Kids
- Peg Perego John Deere
- 12V Ride on Kids Electric Car
- Power Wheels Dune Racer
- 12V Ride on Lamborgini
- 12V Electric Ride Modern-Depo Police Pursuit
- Power Wheels Jurassic World
- Radio Flyer Tesla Model
- Power Wheels Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler
- Carbon Black SLS AMG Mercedes Benz
- Rollplay GMC Sierra Denali
Reviews of 10 Best Electric Cars for Kids 2019
#1. Peg Perego John Deere: Overall Best
The Peg Perego by John Deere emerged as the overall best electric car for kids in our 2019 list. It is currently the best-selling electric car for kids on Amazon and over 1700 parents have rated it 4.5/5 (average) as of this publication in October 2019. Whether your kids like farming or not, this electric car will get your toddler comfortable and feeling like a real mature farmer. It comes with a detachable trailer and is very ideal for outdoor use, perhaps very ideal if you live in the country. Any toddler from ages 3 to 7 will find this John Deere branded electric car their favorite baby gear.
Aside from being one of our 10 best electric cars in the market, Peg Perego is unique in a few ways that made us rank it top ahead of others in this list. Some of the features we really like are:
- Flip-up armrests
- Adjustable seat
- Two-speed levels and a reverse gear
The table below summarizes the features of John Perego electric car:
|Name||Peg Perego John Deere|
|Manufactured||Fort Wayne, Indiana|
|Power Up||12-volt rechargeable battery and charger included|
|Speeds||2 ½ or 4 ½ mph on grass, dirt or hard surfaces (4 ½ mph lockout for beginners)|
|Weight Capacity||Can hold up to 130 lbs|
- Peg Perego John Deere is great for toddlers from age 3 to age 7
- It has high traction wheels that enable it to maintain good friction on the ground and avoid sliding
- You can choose from 2 speeds and can also reverse it
- It supports your kid for up to a maximum of 85 pounds
- It weighs 50 pounds
- It has a radio that connects to FM frequency.
#2. 12V Ride on Kids Electric Car: Best for Off-road
Best Choice Products 12V Ride is the second-best electric car for kids in 2019. It is the best electric car for kids who are 3 years old. Over 1400 parents have rated it 4.1/5 (average) as of this publication in October 2019. The truck is built large, scaled small, for your kid’s biggest adventures.
- Weighs 45 lbs
- It is recommended for kids from the age of 3 years
- The run time is 1 – 2 hours
- The battery is rechargeable and it comes together with a charger
- A built-in AUX outlet allows your kid to plug into their music of choice.
|Name||Best Choice Products 12V Ride On Car Truck w/ Remote Control, 3 Speeds, Spring Suspension, LED Light – Red|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon|| 4.1 out of 5 stars |
#3 in Kids’ Electric Vehicles
|Weight limit||Depends on the size of your kid|
|Price||$249.99 as per October 2019|
|Speed Range||1.75-3.75 mph|
|Charge Time||8-12 hrs|
#3. Power Wheels Dune Racer
Power Wheels Dune Racer is the third-best electric car for kids in 2019. It is the best electric car for kids between the ages of 3 years to 7 years. Over 700 parents have rated it 4.2/5 (average) as of this publication in October 2019. This fun car has 2 forward drive speeds ( 2.5 mph and 5 mph ), and a 12-volt rechargeable battery. It weighs 68.7 pounds. The Dune Racer offers hours of fun.
- Monster Traction system drives on rough terrain, hard surfaces, and wet grass.
- It supports your kid for up to a maximum of 130 pounds
- It has a Power Lock Brake System.
- Drives 2.5 mph and 5 mph forward and 2.5 mph in reverse.
- Metal sidebars for hand support.
- Includes 12-volt battery and charger.
|Name||Power Wheels Dune Racer, Green|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||4.2 out of 5 stars|
|Age recommendation||3 – 7 years|
|Weight limit||130 pounds|
|Price||$293.31 as per October 2019|
|Battery||1 12V batteries required.|
#4. Best Choice Products Kids 12V Ride
Best Choice Products Kids 12V Ride is the fourth-best electric car for kids in 2019. It is the best electric car for kids between the ages of 4 years. Over 49 parents have rated it 4.4/5 (average) as of this publication in October 2019.
Great adventure awaits kids with this Lamborghini Aventador sports car ride. Kids can ride on their own but for peace of mind, parents can step in with a remote control to ensure they are safe.
- It comes with a rechargeable 12V battery that allows for enough playtime.
- It has a maximum speed of 3.7 mph
- The remote has speed selection and forward/reverse controls.
|Name||Best Choice Products Kids 12V Ride On Electric Lamborghini w/ 2 Speeds, LED Lights/Sounds, Red|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||4.4 out of 5 stars|
|Age recommendation||3 years and above|
|Weight Limit||Can only support one kid|
|Price||$269.99 as per October 2019.|
#5. Modern-Depo Police Pursuit 12V Electric Ride
Modern-Depo Police Pursuit Car 12V Dual Drive Children’s Electric Ride is the fifth-best electric car for kids in 2019. It is the best electric car for kids who are 2 years old. Over 34 parents have rated it 3.4/5 (average) as of this publication in October 2019.
It is a car with lots of features for the price. 2 speeds, siren, roof and grill lights, a working microphone and a PA system, and additional songs played through a built-in speaker.
- It can be controlled by parents with the provided remote control or driven manually by kids.
- It supports your kid for up to a maximum of 77 pounds
- Realistic multicolor LED lights that border the top of the windshield, headlights, & side mirrors. This gives kids the feeling of being on duty.
- It includes a real siren, horn, MP3, USB socket, seat belts for safety, adjustable volume and engine sounds, and two varying speeds i.e high and low.
- It has doors that can be opened.
|Name||GRTVF Police Pursuit Car 12V Dual Drive Children’s Electric Ride 2.4G Remote Control Police Car Toy Alarm Flash Walkie Talkie Bumper Double Open Door|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||3.4 out of 5 stars|
|Age Recommendation||2 years and above|
|Price||$159.99 as per October 2019|
6. Power Wheels Jurassic World, Jeep Wrangler
Power Wheels Jurassic World, Jeep Wrangler Ride is the sixth-best electric car for kids in 2019. It is the best electric car for kids who are 5 years old. Over 600 parents have rated it 4.1/5 (average) as of this publication in October 2019.
Your young adventurer knows just what to do; hop into their Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler vehicle and get moving and enjoy the moment. It has awesome styling, Jurassic Park graphics and exciting dino-chase sounds, and a real working light bar. Your kids will feel like they are driving the real car.
- Cool dinosaur sounds and realistic Jeep Wrangler ‘chase’ sounds.
- Real working light bar and roomy storage area.
- Two seats and holds a maximum weight of 130 lb (59 kg).
- Enhanced durability and performance
- It drives on hard surfaces and grass at 2.5 mph and 5 mph i.e 4 and 8 km/h.
|Name||Power Wheels Jurassic World, Jeep Wrangler Ride|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||4.1 out of 5 stars|
|Age Recommendation||3 years – 7 years|
|Weight Limit||130 pounds|
|Price||$299.00 as per October 2019|
Radio Flyer Tesla Model Ride is seventh-best electric car for kids in 2019. It is the best electric car for kids who are 6 years old and 7 years old. It has been rated at 4.7/5 (average) as of this publication in October 2019.
- Working Headlights
- Spacious interior
- Working horns
- It has a front trunk
- It supports your kid for up to a maximum of 81 pounds
|Name||Radio Flyer Tesla Model Ride|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||3.9 out of 5 stars|
|Age Recommendation||3 years – 8 years|
|Weight Limit||81.0 lbs|
8. Power Wheels Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler
Power Wheels Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler Ride is eighth-best electric car for kids in 2019. It is the best electric car for kids who are 4 years old to 7 years old. Over 39 parents have rated it 4.3/5 (average) as of this publication in October 2019.
This fun car comes with pre-loaded music and sounds so the children can have a great time while driving. The car is built tough, so your kids can have as much fun as possible while ensuring safety and security. It has realistic Jeep details and also a spacious seat.
- Realistic Jeep Wrangler styling and cool flame graphics.
- Spacious rear storage area that hold more than one kid.
- Tough Talking microphone that has voice-amplifying speaker and fun sound effects.
- Drives 2.5 and 5 mph (4 and 8 km/h) max. forward
- Drives 2.5 mph (4 km/h) max. reverse
|Name||Power Wheels Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||4.3 out of 5 stars|
|Age Recommendation||3 years – 7 years|
|Weight Limit||69 pounds|
|Price||$298.42 as per October 2019|
9. Carbon BLACK SLS AMG Mercedes Benz Car for Kids
Carbon BLACK SLS AMG Mercedes Benz Car for Kids is ninth-best electric car for kids in 2019. It is the best electric car for kids who are 2 years old to 6 years old. Over 80 parents have rated it 4.3/5 (average) as of this publication in October 2019.
Your kid will enjoy and experience a comfortable ride because it has realistic mirrors and they can play their music from the phone. The car also has a large space for your kids.
- Two speeds and two motors with a Maximum Speed of 3 Mph – 6 Mph.
- It has Rubber Traction Band integrated wheels for a smooth and safe ride for your kid.
- Soft Harness Seat Belt
- LED Lights around Seat
- It has both reverse and forward switch.
- It has a built-in MP3 Player, Plays files from USB Flash Drive or Micro SD card.
- The music sounds and the horn are on the steering wheel.
- It has realistic doors and windows that can be opened, Floor Mat kid’s electric car.
- It has an electric brake system, gradual acceleration and reliable braking.
|Name||Carbon BLACK SLS AMG Mercedes Benz Car for Kids, 12V Powered Kids Ride On Car|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon|| 4.3 out of 5 |
#45 in Kids’ Electric Vehicles
|Age Recommendation||2 years – 6 years|
|Weight Limit||66 pounds|
|Price||$499.99 as per October 2019|
10. Rollplay GMC Sierra Denali 12 Volt Ride-On Vehicle, Black
Rollplay GMC Sierra Denali 12 Volt Ride-On Vehicle is tenth-best electric car for kids in 2019. It is the best electric car for kids who are 3 years old to 8 years old. Over 200 parents have rated it 3.7/5 (average) as of this publication in October 2019.
The Rollplay designs and markets products want to provide empowering play experiences to your child.
- Weight capacity allowance of 130 pounds.
- High-speed lockout with 5 mph maximum forward speed and 2.5 mph maximum reverse speed.
- It has two opening doors and opening tailgate that makes playing with friends fun.
- It lets you check how much of playtime is left. 12V ride-on charge time is 8 hours -12 hours.
- It has rubber traction strips on tires that makes off-roading a breeze.
- It has MP3 jack that lets your child jam out while she or he rides.
- Real Sounds and Headlights that your kid will love.
- It is easy to charge
|Name||Rollplay GMC Sierra Denali 12 Volt Ride-On Vehicle, Black|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||3.7 out of 5|
|Age Recommendation||3 years – 8 years|
|Weight Limit||130 pounds|
|Price||$399.99 as per October 2019|
Electric Cars for Kids Buyer Guide:
Below are some of the features you should closely look out for when purchasing any of the above 10 best electric cars.
- Safety: If your kid is below 3 years of age, you should get an electric car with safety belt straps to keep your baby. For safety reasons, make sure the car can also be locked and that your baby wouldn’t be able to start driving out on their own without some way of controlling.
- Speed: Speed settings in various electric cars for kids vary and if your baby is just starting out to drive, you can get one with speed controls that would not endanger your little one. The speed ranges from 3 to 5 miles per hour, although there are some that exceed 5m/h. Also, some cars come with the ‘lock-out’ option which is another layer of safety for kids still learning to get used to speed of moving objects.
- Weight capacity: Watch out of weight limitations in the car you’re considering so your baby won’t be locked out from using it because of it weight limits
- Durability: You won’t want an electric car that will fail barely 6 months after purchasing it. Pick a durable one that will last for at least 2 years.
- Remote control: Pick an electric car for your kid that uses a remote if you think you need one. This is an additional safety gadget.
- Suspension: Get an electric car with shock absorbers to ensure a smooth ride for your kid.
I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at 10BabyGear. I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at email@example.com.