Two/2-way talk baby monitors are great if you want to be able to talk to your baby and not just listen to them when they cry or need your attention. If the baby is too young, you can use this feature to talk to your spouse or nanny when they are in your baby’s nursery.
For a long time, an analog baby monitor used the Simplex mode which enabled communication only one-way in every instance. However, the innovation and R&D in the 80s and 90s paved the way for 2-way baby monitors.
Here is a video explaining the basics of 2-way talk radio communication:
Unlike walkie-talkies, baby monitors have a set channel and you won’t have to switch from one to another like the old analog baby monitors. For every one speaking on one end of a walkie-talkie, they have to push a button and indicate to the other party that they can now start talking. This is called the half-duplex.
In Full-Duplex transmission, which is common with digital baby monitors and cellphones, both parties can talk simultaneously. See the table comparison below of half-duplex and full-duplex:
|Half Duplex||Full Duplex|
|2-directional but one person talks at a time||2-directional and the two people can talk simultaneously|
|Data can be transmitted and received, but one a time||Data can be sent and be received simultaneously|
|Better than the simplex transmission||The best mode of transmission|
|Example: Walkie talkie||Example: Cellphone and digital baby monitors|
We’ve compared over 22 baby monitors and have come up with the 10 best 2-way talk baby monitors of 2020:
- XCSOURCE Video Baby Monitor with 2-Way Talk
- Infant Optics DXR 8: Overall Best 2-way Talk Baby Monitor
- Nanit Plus 2-way Talk Baby Monitor
- Panasonic Video Baby Monitor with 2 way Talk
- VTech VM3252-2: Video Baby Monitor with 2-way Talk
- Hellobaby with two-way talk
- Vava Baby monitor
- Eufy Spaceview
- Babysense video baby monitor
Best Two-way Talk Baby Monitors of 2020
1. XCSOURCE Video Baby Monitor with 2-Way Talk
XCSOURCE video baby monitor is our overall best 2-way talk baby monitor with a camera and audio which can be used for baby monitoring and for pet surveillance.
This video baby monitor by XCSOURCE is currently ranking on Amazon for ‘2-way baby monitor with camera and audio’ and it made it to 10BabyGear’s lists for the first time (we haven’t reviewed this product before).
XCSOURCE has an inbuilt microphone and speaker on the camera and this facilitates communication to and from your baby.
Below are other features that make this video baby monitor great for 2-way talk:
- The 2-inch LCD screen with inbuilt speakers and microphone
- This 2-way baby monitor does not rely on wifi and therefore has a limited transmission range of up to 850 ft. outdoors and 160ft. indoors.
- The infrared night vision turns on automatically, similar to Infant Optics DXR 8.
- It can be used for a variety of purposes such as monitoring babies, elderly or pets.
2.Infant Optics DXR 8: Overall Best 2-way Talk Baby Monitor
Infant Optics DXR 8 is our second-best baby monitor with a two-way talk that uses full-duplex transmission mode to allow simultaneous data exchange. Like a 2-way road, Infant Optics DXR 8 allows you to hear the baby when your baby cries and also enables you to talk to your baby, perhaps soothe them to sleep if you want to. Infant Optics DXR 8 is our best 2-way baby monitor with a camera.
Infant Optics DXR 8 is a digital non-wifi video baby monitor that has a camera with an inbuilt microphone to capture the baby’s audio signals. The camera also has an inbuilt speaker
On the other hand, Infant Optics DXR 8’s parent unit is a screen with 3.5-inch diagonal with an inbuilt microphone and speaker. The sound quality is great and you can be confident to hear any noise that your baby makes without the need for other notification features such as light or vibration which are common for deaf or hearing-impaired parents.
Below are other features of Infant Optics DXR 8:
- Excellent audio quality and non-HD video
- Does not rely on the internet
- 3.5-inch screen display
- Supports up to 4 cameras but does not support split-screen viewing
- Infant Optics has a replacement monitor/screen
- 8 infrared LED lights and automatic night vision switch
Nanit Plus is our third best 2-way talk baby monitor that also uses full-duplex transmission mode to enable simultaneous data transfer. Nanit Plus is 10BabyGear’s overall best wifi baby monitor and part of what made it top on this list is its quality audio signals. In addition to quality audio transfers, Nanit Plus’ signals are encrypted that ensures only those intended to listen to the baby or to listen to you are listening.
Nanit Plus is among the few baby monitors that use the most advanced encryption standard, the AES-256 bit encryption. While Wifi baby monitors are prone to hacking, baby monitors with the most advanced form of encryption such as Miku baby monitors, Safety 1st HD wifi baby monitor, and Motorola Halo Plus guarantee 100% privacy as you talk or as the baby’s signals are transmitted to the parent unit.
Nanit Plus streams audio from the camera located at your baby’s nursery to your smartphone app. Unlike Infant Optics DXR 8, Nanit Plus uses your smartphone’s microphone and speaker to facilitate 2-way talk.
Steps to follow when you want to talk using Nanit App:
- Open the Android or iOS App of Nanit Plus
- Click on the microphone icon on the app dashboard. Once you’ve tapped the icon, it will connect to the camera which has built-in speakers
- Once the connection with the speaker in the camera is successful, a bigger button will appear and you need to press it down and hold it as long as your talk will last. You’ll see green flashing to indicate that the audio signal is being transmitted successfully.
- Release your button once you finish talking to your baby
Since you may not want to talk to the baby most of the time, especially if they are below one year old, you can turn off the 2-way talk feature by navigating to settings. Navigate to sound settings on your Nanit App and turn the toggle next to the microphone to ‘off’. You’ll now see the 2-way audio disabled. You can read more from Nanit’s support page about how to operate the 2-way talk video baby monitor.
4. Panasonic Video Baby Monitor with 2 way Talk
Panasonic video baby monitor with 2 -talk is our 4th best baby monitor with a 2-way talk feature using the full-duplex transmission mode. We previously featured Panasonic as the second-best long-range baby monitor and we neglected to emphasize Panasonic’s advanced DECT technology that powered telecommunications for decades before other companies such as Motorola caught up. Panasonic is similar to XCSOURCE video baby monitor and Infant Optics DXR 8 in that it does not rely on the internet to transmit its signals.
Panasonic has the longest proven range of up to 1500 ft. outdoors and the only other competitor that rivals it is the Graco Secure audio baby monitor which claims to transmit up to 2000 ft. outdoors. Panasonic uses DECT technology which has been specifically designed to power long-distance telecommunication and this is one of the best features of this 2-way talk video baby monitor by Panasonic.
5. VTech VM3252-2: Video Baby Monitor with 2-way Talk
You can create an intercom system with your VTech DM3252-2 baby monitor, one of VTech baby monitors with 2 cameras. This video baby monitor comes with two cameras and allows you to talk to your babies (if you are using it to monitor your twins or two babies).
You can check the price of VTech VM3252 on Amazon here