In this article, we give you an analysis and reviews of the best baby monitors with screens and apps. These video baby monitors rely on wifi to transmit signals from the camera unit to the parent unit or to the smartphone app. We also share tips on baby monitors apps and we specifically explain how we ranked Motorola Halo + as the overall best baby monitor with screen and app in 2019.
If you want a smartphone-viewing option and a dedicated parent unit viewing, this article gives you detailed reviews and a comparison of the top baby monitors with smartphone apps and dedicated displays/screens. We hope this will enable you to make the best buying decision.
I have used 4 video baby monitors, 2 of which had Apps and screens/parent units. That’s to say, I have used different types of baby monitors to raise my twins who are now 3 years old and I can’t stress this enough, it is incredibly important to get a baby monitor with these two display options. As a parent with twins, my excellent baby video monitors have been my best gadgets as a first-time parent in 2018 and now in 2019.
A dedicated screen or a parent unit enables you to get connected to your baby remotely and has specialized control features that specific and meant to enhance the monitoring experience. The smartphone app allows you to still be connected to your baby even when you are thousands of kilometers away from your baby.
Like several parents, traveling is becoming more common than perhaps it was when the first baby monitor came out in 1937 and luckily technology has progressed to allow you to stay connected to your baby wherever you are.
Whether you are a new parent or a parent with more than one baby, a great baby monitor that enables you to monitor your baby using both the dedicated screen and a smartphone app is very essential. If you want to have a look at wifi baby monitors that use smartphone screens and App such as Arlo baby monitor, Nanit and iBaby, you can check out our detailed article on 9 best baby monitor apps.
Several brands have baby monitors with a parent unit and an app and we’ve analyzed our favorite which includes Motorola, VTech, Kodak, Project Nursery, and Samsung. It is important to note that each particular baby monitor brand uses the same App across its baby monitors. For example, Motorola baby monitors with screen and App all use the Hubble App which you can download on Playstore or in the Appstore. The comparison table of all our best baby monitors with screen and app in 2019 is in the last section of this article.
Below is a list with the video baby monitors with screen and app.
Best Baby Monitors with Screen and Apps:
1. Motorola Halo +: Overall Best Screen & App
Motorola Halo Plus was released in January 2019 and it is our overall best baby video monitor with screen and app. Motorola Halo Plus camera records video in 720p high definition and relays clear pictures of your baby on the app or on the parent unit. 10BabyGear ranked Motorola Halo + among 2020 best baby monitors, behind Owlet, Nanit, Eufy Spaceview and Infant Optics DXR 8. In our review, it also emerged as the overall best Motorola baby monitor and among the top handheld wifi monitors.
In addition to the videos, Motorola Halo also comes with smart sleep assistant feature. The sleep tracker, similar to Nanit’s revolutionary sleep analytics algorithm gives your parental tips on sleep data, actionable insight and more to enable you and your baby to get more sleep. If the baby gets better sleep, you as a parent won’t be woken up by a crying baby at 2 am. The Hubble Connected App logs details such as sleep periods and feeding periods, among others. If you want a baby monitor with an HD screen display and a smartphone app that gives you the video and sleep analytics data and tips, Motorola Halo Plus is your best option.
Motorola Halo is a Prime eligible product on Amazon and can be shipped immediately for you to start unlimited viewing capabilities with a dedicated 4.3-inch parent unit and on Motorola Halo app called Hubble.
The 4.3-inch screen displays the temperature and the activity graph. On the sides of the parent unit display, you can toggle and shift from one camera to another.
It’s becoming common for us here at the Center to say any video baby monitor is only as good as the app and it’s true. In our review and ranking of Motorola Halo Plus, we also got a good understanding of the Hubble App which you can download on Android or iOS device once you’ve mounted your Motorola Halo over the baby’s crib.
Here are the features of the Motorola Halo App:
- Review rating on Google play store of 3.3/5. Please note that Motorola has since redesigned the app and the earlies issues of Motorola Hubble App not working/crashing have been corrected.
- More than 1,000,000 downloads on Android devices (Google Playstore)
- Has sound and motion detection alerts that will notify you in case there is activity in the baby’s room. This is a feature common with most security cameras and also great in baby monitors
- The App also allows you to log and track all important sleep information such as sleep periods, feeding, diaper changing schedule and growth. It has a ‘baby facts of the day’ page on the app that allows you to see and track all the important info.
- On the app, you can tab a talk icon and speak directly to your baby. This two-way talk feature is great as you not only get to hear the baby’s voice but also talk in case you believe your voice can help soothe him/her better. In fact, doctors recommend and studies have been done to show that babies recognize a parent’s voice and it is important for their development to hear the voice (especially the mother’s voice).
- It saves the vides and you’ll need to subscribe to a plan to access the videos for up to 30 days.
Below are the subscription plans that apply to all Motorola baby monitors with screen and app:
|Free Plan||Basic Plan||Standard Plan||Premium Plan|
|No Monthly fee||$29/year||$99/year||$299/year|
|No storage||24 hours of cloud storage||7-day cloud storage||30 days of cloud storage|
|One camera||2 cameras||5 cameras||Up to 15 connected cameras|
|Sleep analytics||Sleep analytics|
Video Review of Motorola Halo +
If you want to purchase this Motorola Halo, you can get it on Amazon here (link to Amazon)
You can read this post with a comparison of Motorola Halo and Nanit (Link to Nanit Plus review & comparison table)
2. Motorola MBP855CONNECT: Portable Baby Monitor with Screen and Wifi Viewing Options
Motorola MBP855 CONNECT is another Motorola baby monitor with screen and app. The MBP855 model emerged second in our list and we liked this monitor mainly because it not only supports 2 viewing options(on the 5-inch screen and on your smartphone screen) but can also support 2 cameras.
This model, MBP855 was released in February 2017, about two years before Motorola Halo Plus was released. The screen displays the videos in color and below is an instruction from Motorola on how to set it up:
Below are the features of Motorola MBP855:
|Screen Size||5-inch color screen|
|Cameras it supports||Up to 4 cameras|
|Portability||Very portable because of a rechargeable camera and weighs less than 1kg|
|Local range||1000 ft.|
|Lullabies||5 pre-loaded lullabies|
|Night vision||Yes with infrared lights|
|Temperature||Yes. It has a temperature sensor|
|Video Quality||720p HD comparable to Eufy baby monitor’s video quality.|
|Camera||Remote Pan, Tilt, and Zoom|
You can check its current price on Amazon here.
3. Motorola MBP845 CONNECT
Motorola MBP845 CONNECT was released in the summer of 2018 (May 30th, 2018) and is our third best baby monitor with screen and App. We like this Motorola model because of the following features that make multiple viewing options with parent unit and smartphone app possible and easy:
- 5-inch color screen display
- Uses Wifi for unlimited range and for smartphone viewing and FHSS for local viewing
- Has zoom feature but no pan and tilt features like the MBP855 model and the Halo model above.
- Has a high video quality with 720p high definition images/videos
- Has two-way talk feature
- Has room temperature display on the screen
- Infrared night vision
- Split-screen viewing
- Supports up to 4 cameras, here is the Motorola add-on camera compatible with MBP845.
- Uses Motorola Hubble App
You can check today’s price of Motorola MBP845 on Amazon here.
4. KODAK Cherish C520 and C525 With App & Screens
Below are the features of Kodak Cherish C520:
- App: Google Play and Itunes
- Screen Size: 5.0′
- Baby Monitor Type: Wifi Baby Monitor
- Split Screen Viewing Functionality: Yes
- You can check its price on Amazon here.
Below are the features of Kodak Cherish C525
- App : Google Play and Itunes
- Screen Size: 5.0′
- Baby Monitor Type: Wifi Baby Monitor
- Split Screen Viewing Functionality: Yes
- You can check the price of Kodak C525 on Amazon here
See the comparison of all the Kodak baby monitors with screen and app:
5. Samsung Baby Monitors with Screen and App
Samsung’s SEW-3057WN came 5th in our list of top baby monitors with screen and app. Samsung’s brand of baby monitors which is now called Wisenet has significantly improved the baby monitor design. Though the baby monitor is relatively expensive, its features are very distinguished with 5-ich display parent unit and an app.
Samsung Wisenet SEW-3057WN
Below are the features of Wisenet SEW-3057WN:
- Has a free app that is compatible with iOS and Android devices
- Has a 5-inch screen/parent unit
- Has split-screen viewing making it ideal to use for monitoring twins
- Wisenet SEW-3057WN comes with a wristwatch which vibrates when there is a notification. This makes this monitor the best for deaf and blind parents that cannot see light alerts or hear sound alerts.
- It also has 360 degrees pan and 110 degrees tilt
Below is a view review of Samsung Wisenet with screen and wifi viewing:
You can check the price of Samsung Wisenet SEW-3057 on Amazon here.
Samsung Wisenet SEW-3053WN
Below are the features of Wisenet SEW-3053WN:
- You can use an app which you can download from Appstore or Google Play
- Has a 5-inch screen
- Gives you a very wide-angle viewing as it has 300 degrees pan and a 110 degrees tilt
You can check Wisenet’s SEW 3053WN price on Amazon.
Comparison of our best baby monitors with apps and screens
|iOS App||Android App||Screen |
|Motorola Halo +||Yes||Yes||4.3||Yes||Check Price|
|Motorola MBP855 CONNECT||Yes||Yes||5||Yes||Check Price|
|Motorola MBP845 CONNECT||Yes||Yes||5||Yes||Check Price|
|KODAK Cherish C520||Yes||Yes||5||Yes||Check Price|
|KODAK Cherish C525||Yes||Yes||5||Yes||Check Price|
|Samsung Wisenet SEW-3057WN||Yes||Yes||5||Yes||Check Price|