In this article, we give you an analysis and reviews of the best baby monitors with screens and apps that you can get in the market in 2020. These video baby monitors rely on wifi to transmit signals from the camera unit to the parent unit or to the smartphone app. We also share tips on baby monitors apps and we specifically explain how we ranked Motorola Halo + as the overall best baby monitor with screen and app in 2020.
If you want a smartphone-viewing option and a dedicated parent unit viewing, this article gives you detailed reviews and a comparison of the top baby monitors with smartphone apps and dedicated displays/screens. We hope this will enable you to make the best buying decision.
I have used 4 video baby monitors, 2 of which had Apps and screens/parent units. That’s to say, I have used different types of baby monitors to raise my twins who are now 3 years old and I can’t stress this enough, it is incredibly important to get a baby monitor with these two display options. As a parent with twins, my excellent baby video monitors have been my best gadgets as a first-time parent in 2019 and now in 2020.
A dedicated screen or a parent unit enables you to get connected to your baby remotely and has specialized control features that specific and meant to enhance the monitoring experience. The smartphone app allows you to still be connected to your baby even when you are thousands of kilometers away from your baby.
Like several parents, traveling is becoming more common than perhaps it was when the first baby monitor came out in 1937 and luckily technology has progressed to allow you to stay connected to your baby wherever you are.
Whether you are a new parent or a parent with more than one baby, a great baby monitor that enables you to monitor your baby using both the dedicated screen and a smartphone app is very essential. If you want to have a look at wifi baby monitors that use smartphone screens and App such as Arlo baby monitor, Nanit and iBaby, you can check out our detailed article on 9 best baby monitor apps.
Several brands have baby monitors with a parent unit and an app and we’ve analyzed our favorite which includes Motorola, VTech, Kodak, Project Nursery, and Samsung. It is important to note that each particular baby monitor brand uses the same App across its baby monitors. For example, Motorola baby monitors with screen and App all use the Hubble App which you can download on Playstore or in the Appstore. The comparison table of all our best baby monitors with screen and app in 2019 is in the last section of this article.
Below is a list of video baby monitors with screen and app.
Reviews of the Best Baby Monitors with Screen and Apps:
Motorola Halo Plus is our overall best baby video monitor with screen and app in 2020. Motorola Halo Plus camera records video in 720p high definition and relays clear pictures of your baby on the app or on the parent unit. 10BabyGear ranked Motorola Halo + among 2020 best baby monitors, behind Owlet, Nanit, Eufy Spaceview, and Infant Optics DXR 8. In our review, it also emerged as the overall best Motorola baby monitor and among the top handheld wifi monitors.
In addition to the videos, Motorola Halo also comes with a smart sleep assistant feature. The sleep tracker, similar to Nanit’s revolutionary sleep analytics algorithm gives your parental tips on sleep data, actionable insight, and more to enable you and your baby to get more sleep. If the baby gets better sleep, you as a parent won’t be woken up by a crying baby at 2 am. The Hubble Connected App logs details such as sleep periods and feeding periods, among others. If you want a baby monitor with an HD screen display and a smartphone app that gives you the video and sleep analytics data and tips, Motorola Halo Plus is your best option.
Motorola Halo is a Prime eligible product on Amazon and can be shipped immediately for you to start unlimited viewing capabilities with a dedicated 4.3-inch parent unit and on Motorola Halo app called Hubble.
The 4.3-inch screen displays the temperature and the activity graph. On the sides of the parent unit display, you can toggle and shift from one camera to another. Its indoor range is 165 feet, although they advertise up to 1000 ft.
It’s becoming common for us here at the Center to say any video baby monitor is only as good as the app and it’s true. In our review and ranking of Motorola Halo Plus, we also got a good understanding of the Hubble App which you can download on Android or iOS device once you’ve mounted your Motorola Halo over the baby’s crib.
Here are the features of the Motorola Halo App:
- Review rating on Google play store of 4/5. Please note that Motorola has since redesigned the app and the earlies issues of Motorola Hubble App not working/crashing have been corrected.
- More than 1,000,000 downloads on Android devices (Google Playstore)
- Has sound and motion detection alerts that will notify you in case there is an activity in the baby’s room. This is a feature common with most security cameras and also great in baby monitors
- The App also allows you to log and track all important sleep information such as sleep periods, feeding, diaper changing schedule, and growth. It has a ‘baby facts of the day’ page on the app that allows you to see and track all the important info.
- On the app, you can tab a talk icon and speak directly to your baby. This two-way talk feature is great as you not only get to hear the baby’s voice but also talk in case you believe your voice can help soothe him/her better. In fact, doctors recommend and studies have been done to show that babies recognize a parent’s voice and it is important for their development to hear the voice (especially the mother’s voice).
- It saves the vides and you’ll need to subscribe to a plan to access the videos for up to 30 days.
Below are the subscription plans that apply to all Motorola baby monitors with screen and app:
|Free Plan||Basic Plan||Standard Plan||Premium Plan|
|No Monthly fee||$29/year||$99/year||$299/year|
|No storage||24 hours of cloud storage||7-day cloud storage||30 days of cloud storage|
|One camera||2 cameras||5 cameras||Up to 15 connected cameras|
|Sleep analytics||Sleep analytics|
Video Review of Motorola Halo +
If you want to purchase this Motorola Halo, you can get it on Amazon here (link to Amazon)
You can read this post with a comparison of Motorola Halo and Nanit (Link to Nanit Plus review & comparison table)
- Baby-friendly features including a built-in playlist of lullabies, nature sounds, and children’s audiobooks.
- High-quality resolution features 1080p HD resolution.
- It comes with a handheld monitor/screen and is among the few wifi monitors that allow you to view using the phone screen and the monitor – whichever is best for you at different times
- It’s very easy to set it up and once mounted, it provides an unrestricted overhead view of your baby
- It can capture event-triggered video and provide sleep data – although it needs subscriptions
- It relatively expensive compared to other regular wiFi baby monitors such as Cocoon Cam
- Requires additional cloud-subscription costs to enable advanced features
- Low-res handheld monitor.
2. Motorola MBP855CONNECT: Portable Baby Monitor with Screen and Wifi Viewing Options
Motorola MBP855 CONNECT is another Motorola baby monitor brand with a monitor and app. The MBP855 model emerged second in our list and we liked this monitor mainly because it not only supports 2 viewing options(on the 5-inch screen and on your smartphone screen) but can also support 2 cameras.
It is a wiFi-enabled monitor using the 2.4 GHz frequency band like several other single-band monitors. A package contains two cameras and a parent unit with a 5-inch screen (though you have the option of buying one camera at a cheaper price – $249.99 with two cameras, and $199.99 with one.
Just like the Halo+, you can receive notifications on your iOS or Android device through the Hubble app. Also, you get video footage on your parent unit if it is within 1000 feet on open ground.
The camera has a video resolution of 720p HD and the ability to adjust the lenses to get a better view of the nursery using pan, tilt, and zoom. This is very useful if you have toddlers. It also has night vision with infrared led lights so you can have the same clear visibility at when it is dark.
Aside from enabling you to see and hear your baby from a different room, this monitor has sensors to detect noise, motion, and room temperatures and it sends you to alert if there is movement or your baby is crying, or the room is too warm or too cool.
If you want to monitor several kids or a pet or an elderly loved one, the monitoring app can support up to four cameras, giving you more eyes and ears. These cameras are rechargeable and portable so you can place them on any location you like. We also love that you can view two cameras on a split-screen.
We also love two-way talk and the ability to add 5 lullabies just to calm and soothe your baby.
This model, MBP855 was released in February 2017, about two years before Motorola Halo Plus was released. The screen displays the videos in color and below is an instruction from Motorola on how to set it up:
Below are the features of Motorola MBP855:
|Screen Size||5-inch color screen|
|Cameras it supports||Up to 4 cameras|
|Portability||Very portable because of a rechargeable camera and weighs less than 1kg|
|Local range||1000 ft.|
|Lullabies||5 pre-loaded lullabies|
|Night vision||Yes with infrared lights|
|Temperature||Yes. It has a temperature sensor|
|Video Quality||720p HD comparable to Eufy baby monitor’s video quality.|
|Camera||Remote Pan, Tilt, and Zoom|
- Camera expandability to monitor multiple locations
- Whole room view with pan, tilt, and zoom features
- The Hubble app lets you manage the camera and receive feeding straight to your phone no matter where you are.
- It allows viewing in split screen for multiple cameras
- Poor ratings citing frequent camera disconnection
- Some customers say the night vision is poor
- Some customers report that the sound quality is poor and that it fails altogether sometimes
You can check its current price on Amazon here.
3. Motorola MBP845 CONNECT
Motorola MBP845 CONNECT was released in the summer of 2018 (May 30th, 2018) and is our third–best baby monitor with parent unit and App in this list. We like this Motorola model because of the following features that make multiple viewing options with parent unit and smartphone app possible and easy:
- Choose between 2.8-inch and 5-inch color screen display
- Uses Wifi for unlimited range and for smartphone viewing and FHSS for local viewing
- Has a zoom feature but no pan and tilt features like the MBP855 model and the Halo model above.
- Has a high video quality with 720p high definition images/videos
- Has two-way talk feature
- Has room temperature display on the screen
- Infrared night vision
- Split-screen viewing
- Supports up to 4 cameras, here is the Motorola add-on camera compatible with MBP845.
- Uses Motorola Hubble App
The Motorola 845 CONNECT comes in several packages to suit your need. The pricing is also considerably low than its siblings we have reviewed earlier. You can purchase the package that includes two cameras and a parent unit with 5 inch screen ($159.99), or one with just one camera ($99.99), or one camera and a parent unit with a smaller 2.8 inch screen ($114.99). Better still, you can expand your monitoring by up to 4 cameras.
You can watch your baby from the parent unit and Hubble app in 720p resolution with the ability to zoom in for a closer look. It also has two-way communication, night vision, and temperature display. If it detects sound or movement or temperatures that are out of the set acceptable range, it sends you notifications on your Hubble app and parent device. You can also be able to play lullabies to soothe your baby to sleep.
- A large screen that gives a better view
- A dedicated parent unit to see your child anytime
- Split-screen viewing
- Some customer report signal losses
- Annoying loud beep when the signal gets lost
- Several customers report that the sound is terribly low that you can’t hear your baby crying
You can check today’s price of Motorola MBP845 on Amazon here.
4. KODAK Cherish C520 and C525 With App & Screens
Kodak’s models, Kodak C520 and C525 made our list of best baby monitors with handheld and phone apps. Kodak, a renowned camera brand has a few models of baby monitors and these two are its popular brands. C520 and C525 give you the option of relying on Wifi to transmit signals from the camera to your phone app or to rely on local radio connection to transmit the signals to a dedicated parent unit.
Below are the features of Kodak Cherish C520:
- App: Google Play and iTunes
- Screen Size: 5.0′
- Camera specs: 400p
- Wall-mountable design
- Illuminated keypad, and soothing lullabies.
- The indoor range is 30 meters or 100 feet
- Baby Monitor Type: Wifi Baby Monitor
- Split Screen Viewing Functionality: Yes
- You can use batteries to power both the parent unit and the camera
- Both cloud and SD card storage supported
- Can view the baby using the phone app or using the parent unit’s screen
- Very short local range, compared to other monitors on this list.
You can check its price on Amazon here.
Kodak Cherish C525
The main difference between Kodak Cherish C525 and the C520 above is the pan and tilt feature. C25 is, however, similar to C520 as they both have apps and handhelds. C525 camera has remote Tilt and Pan functionality via the baby monitor or the KODAK Smart Home app available for Android™ and iOS devices
Below are the features of Kodak Cherish C525
- App: Google Play and iTunes
- Two-way audio
- 5-inch HD dedicated screen
- Camera specs: 400p
- Baby Monitor Type: Wifi Baby Monitor
- Split Screen Viewing Functionality: Yes
You can check the price of Kodak C525 on Amazon here
See the comparison of all the Kodak baby monitors with screen and app:
5. Samsung Baby Monitors with Screen and App
Samsung’s SEW-3057WN came 5th in our list of top baby monitors with screen and app. Samsung’s brand of baby monitors which is now called Wisenet has significantly improved the baby monitor design. Though the baby monitor is relatively expensive, its features are very distinguished with 5-ich display parent unit and an app.
Samsung Wisenet SEW-3057WN
Below are the features of Wisenet SEW-3057WN:
- Has a free app that is compatible with iOS and Android devices
- Has a 5-inch screen/parent unit
- Has split-screen viewing making it ideal to use for monitoring twins
- Wisenet SEW-3057WN comes with a wristwatch which vibrates when there is a notification. This makes this monitor the best for deaf and blind parents that cannot see light alerts or hear sound alerts.
- It also has 360 degrees pan and 110 degrees tilt
Below is a view review of Samsung Wisenet with screen and wifi viewing:
You can check the price of Samsung Wisenet SEW-3057 on Amazon here.
Samsung Wisenet SEW-3053WN
Below are the features of Wisenet SEW-3053WN:
- You can use an app which you can download from Appstore or Google Play
- Has a 5-inch screen
- Gives you a very wide-angle viewing as it has 300 degrees pan and a 110 degrees tilt
You can check Wisenet’s SEW 3053WN price on Amazon, althought it hasn’t been available for the last few months.
Motorola MBP853CONNECT is another Motorola brand with a parent unit and a smartphone app. This monitor enables you to keep a watch over your baby through the parent unit at home or on compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers when away from home.
The screen on the dedicated parent unit measures 3.5 inches and the viewing with the app is possible with the Motorola Hubble App similar to the one used by Motorola Halo+, 845Connect and 855Connect brands above.
- The baby monitor has an LCD screen with a resolution of 320*240 that provides up to 720p display.
- Has a Lens F 2.5millimetre, F 2.8 with a free in-app video recording and image snapshot
- The baby monitor has a remote pan, tilt, zoom, and a two-way communication function that enables you to watch the baby from every angle in her room and to communicate with the baby at a distance
- The monitor has an integrated temperature sensor that alerts you when the child’s room is too cold or hot, enabling you to regulate the temperature promptly
- The monitor has five integrated lullabies that help you to keep your baby calm and relaxed for improved sleep.
- It supports both IOS and Android devices. The IOS devices have to be at least version 7 while Android devices must be at least version 4.2
- It supports up to 4 gadgets, which allows you to monitor the baby from different locations in your home or away from
- The monitor is WIFI enabled with at least 0.6 Mbps upload bandwidth for each camera
- It is easy to set the baby monitor with the guidance if simple in-app setup instructions on the free Hubble app
- The baby monitor allows you to store the kid’s recordings for up to 3o days using Hubble’s optional Cloud Video Recording (CVR).
- It is not portable
- Its batteries have a short life of three hours, which are insufficient for use especially at night
Motorola Connect40 is a large 5-inch screen baby monitor that utilizes smartphone Hubble App, as well. It has a 2-way intercom communication system that is suitable as a monitor for infants, the elderly, and pets. You can see its design on Amazon although it may not be available. The last time we checked, it was unavailable.
- Has a pan-tilt-zoom function that that enables you to view all corners of the room
- Has a 2-way audio communication feature that allows you to communicate with your child when away from his or her room
- Has a voice assistance feature that you connect to Alexa or Google Assistant to control the camera even when away from home
- Has an impressive display that you can use on its 5” screen or pair it to you compatible smart device
- Its Infrared light function enables you to watch over the baby at night wi
- The monitor provides night visions that allow you to watch your baby from the comfort of your bed
- You can monitor the baby’s room from all angles of its pant, tilt, and zoom features
- You can turn the monitor or phone screen off and still have an audio
- You can turn off the night light from the monitor or app
- It has a relatively short battery life
- The blinking blue LED is irritating to a sleeping baby
- You have to have a subscription if you wish to record and access videos from the cloud
Comparison of our best baby monitors with apps and screens
|iOS App||Android App||Screen |
|Motorola Halo +||Yes||Yes||4.3||Yes||Check Price|
|Motorola MBP855 CONNECT||Yes||Yes||5||Yes||Check Price|
|Motorola MBP845 CONNECT||Yes||Yes||5||Yes||Check Price|
|KODAK Cherish C520||Yes||Yes||5||Yes||Check Price|
|KODAK Cherish C525||Yes||Yes||5||Yes||Check Price|
|Samsung Wisenet SEW-3057WN||Yes||Yes||5||Yes||Check Price|
|Name||Motorola Halo +||Motorola MBP855CONNECT||Motorola MBP845CONNECT||KODAK Cherish C520||KODAK Cherish C525||Samsung Wisenet SEW-3053||Motorola MBP853CONNECT-2||Motorola Connect40|
|Rating on Amazon||4.1/5 by 400+ reviews||3.5/5 by over 450+ reviewers||3.5/5 by 380+ reviewers||3.5/5 by 180+ reviewers||3.2/5 by 500+ reviewers||2.4/5 by 180+ reviewers||3.5/5 by 1,700+ reviewers||4/5 by 480+ reviewers|
|Screen Size||4.3-inch screen||5-inch LCD screen||5-inch LCD screen||5 inch HD Screen||5 inch HD Screen||5 inches||3.5-Inch LCD||5-inch HD display|
|Features||Downloadable melodies from the Hubble app |
Sleep Assistant features sleeping tips, facts of the day, insights, and a sleep diary
Built-in sensors for monitoring temperature, motion, and sounds Be there to watch your baby even when you are far from home
|The Hubble app allows you to receive sound, motion, and temperature notifications to your compatible viewing device so you can always stay connected to what’s going on at home.|
5 pre-loaded lullabies
720p HD comparable to Eufy baby monitor’s video quality.
| 720p high definition images/videos|
Has two-way talk feature
Has room temperature display on the screen
Infrared night vision
Supports up to 4 cameras, here is the Motorola add-on camera compatible with MBP845.
Uses Motorola Hubble App
|Hi-res Baby Camera with Remote Zoom, Two-Way Audio, Night-Vision, Long Range - WiFi Indoor Camera Smart WiFi Baby Monitor||Hi-res Baby Camera with Remote Tilt, Pan and Zoom, Two-Way Audio, Night-Vision, Long Range - WiFi Indoor Camera||300° Pan/ 110° Tilt, Night Vision up to 16 ft|
Two-Way Talk, Photo Diary, Feed Timer
Able to Remote View from Mobile
|remote pan, tilt, zoom, and a two-way communication; temperature sensor; five integrated lullabies ; 2 Cameras||Remote Pan Scan, Digital Zoom/Tilt, Two-Way Talk, Night Vision, Temp Sensor, Hubble App|
|Range||1000 ft.||1000 ft.||1000ft||700 ft.||700 ft.||900 ft.||590 feet||1000 ft.|
|Wifi Frequency||2.4 GHz||2.4 GHz||2.4 GHz||2.4 GHz||2.4 GHz||2.4 GHz||2.4 GHz||2.4 GHz|
|Price||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon|