If you looking for a hip seat carrier that equally distributes your baby’s weight and removes pressure from your shoulders, you are on the right post. I have spent several days comparing the brands and models available in the market in 2020.
If you are in a hurry and just want to know our best baby hip carrier in 2020, then you can pick Boba Wrap.
Why use hip seat carriers?
It can be the most exciting thing to experience the baby in your arms after a successful delivery. When I had my first-borns, I started using a carrier within 3 months and by the time my twins were 6 months old, I had developed back pains, shoulder pains, and backaches. It took me another 6 months that included some detailed research on baby carriers to find the best hip seat carriers.
I finally settled on Boba Wrap Baby Carrier below:
Hip seat carriers are specialized types of carriers that broadly distribute the weight of your baby around your waist area. A number of brands have a removable seat that gets inserted in the carrier for use by parents looking to reduce the strain of carrying a toddler or a large baby. With a hip seat carrier, the baby’s weight is distributed around the waist area, making the top less heavy and removing the pressure from the shoulders.
How to choose your hip seat carrier
Use the following factors to determine the suitability of a hip seat baby carrier:
- Carrying Position: A seat with a wide waistband that is padded can better distribute the baby’s weight. The wide waistband and padding distributes the weight across the back and in the pelvic region reducing your risk of getting back pains. For your baby, make sure you pick a hip seat carrier that will provide proper seating position for your baby.
- Comfort: Discomfort can be very painful, especially if you are carrying a toddler. Check the quality of the hip seat carrying you are looking to purchase and make sure the design and padding quality will give you a good babywearing experience
- Carrier Weight: I highly recommend carriers that will not add significant carriage weight. Optimal and recommended weight is 0.5 to 1lbs but you can pick carriers up to a max weight of 2 lbs. You should note that the carrier weight is an extra burden you’ll have to continually carry.
- Cost: Regardless of your budget, choose safe and comfortable carriers that you can comfortably pay for.
Hip Seat Carriers Advantages
- Promotes bonding – When holding your baby in the hip seat, your bodies are so close together, and you can communicate at eye level. This enables you to share a special bond with your child.
- Supports the baby in the recommended ergonomic position – When the baby sits in the wide seat, the spine is supported, and hips are spread out naturally, promoting natural hip development.
- Helps to distribute your baby’s weight around your lower torso evenly – When using a hip seat, your child’s weight will be distributed on your waist and hip. You can also shift the baby between the left and right side to evenly distribute the weight.
- Versatile – Hip seat enables you to carry the baby in different positions depending on your child’s age. (Outward-facing, inward-facing, feeding position with the hip seat detached)
- They are designed to grow with your baby – Depending on the specific brand, you can use a hip seat from the time your baby is 4 months old until they are 3 years old.
- They are very convenient – Hips seats are lightweight and come with many pockets to conveniently stow your essentials while on the move. Also, because they do not have a large footprint, you can go anywhere with your baby in them.
- You can carry the baby in your arms longer and comfortably – A hip seat takes the weight of your child from your hips and back onto the seat; therefore, you can wear the baby for long periods without tiring your arms or back.
- Relieves shoulder and back straining and keeps you standing upright – Unlike some forward-facing carriers and backpack carriers, your hips, waist, and legs take the bulk of your child’s weight rather than your back and shoulders. With a hip seat, you won’t be hunched over or be pulled backward like you can be with most traditional carriers, especially when carrying a toddler
Hip Seat Carrier Disadvantages
- Not suitable for newborns – Hip seats lack head and neck support rendering them unsuitable for newborns and young babies.
- Not suitable for people with lower back or hip problems – Although hip seats have a wide waist strap, the weight is still directed on the lower back and hips, so they might aggravate existing lower back or hip problems.
Best Hip Seat Carriers and Hip Hugger Carriers
Below is a list of our top hip seat carriers and hip hugger carriers:
|Name||Current Rating and Number of Reviewers||Carrying |
|Hip Seat |
|Kiddihug||3.9/5 by 29 reviewers||4||√||Check Price|
|Ergobaby 360||4.4/5 by 796 reviewers||4||√||Check Price|
|Diggold||4.3/5 by 210 customers||4||√||Check Price|
|Baby Hip Seat Carrier Waist Stool||4.5/5 by 226 customers||√||Check Price|
|Suveno||4.7/5 by 85 customers||3||√||Check Price|
|TushBaby The Only Safety Certified Hip Seat Baby Carrier||4.5/5 by 160 customers||√||Check Price|
|Ergonomic Baby Carriers||4||√||Check Price|
|Bebamour Comfort||5||√||Check Price|
|Babi Bambino||4||√||Check Price|
Reviews of Our Best Baby Carriers with Hip Support
1. Kiddihug: Best Hip Seat Carrier For Infants and Toddlers
Kiddihug won the ‘Made for Mums’ award and the publication wasn’t wrong as I agree 100% that this is the overall best baby hip seat carrier in 2019. We also ranked it top ahead of other credible contestants such as Ergobaby 360. Kiddihug is my personal favorite that I immediately bought it after I stopped using my Boba Wrap carrier above in 2018. It is made by Kiddihug, a UK-based company dealing in baby carriers and has been operational since 2016.
Kiddihug is currently rated 3.9/5 by 29 customers and for less than $50, you can get either the black or gray Kiddihug carrier with hip support. Kiddihug is ergonomically designed a hip seat carrier is made to support babies from age 3 to 36 months. It can also support your baby from when they weigh just 7.9 pounds to when they get to 33 pounds.
The new grey Kiddihug baby hip carrier was released to the market in June 2019 and you can get it today on Amazon. You should, however, note that it is not prime eligible.
- It is lightweight
- Comfortable for both baby, mom and dads.
- Many zippered pockets for conveniently storing your essentials while on the move
- Very affordable pricing ($56.00)
- Versatile with six carrying positions
- Finding a comfortable fit might be hard if you are petite or plus size
2. Ergobaby 360
Ergobaby 360 is our second-best hip seat carrier in 2019. Ergobaby 360 has been rated 4.4/5 by over 700 customers who agree that Ergobaby 360 is an excellent carrier. It has been designed to support your baby from when they are 4 months to 36 months. It can also support your baby from 12lbs to 33lbs.
Ergobaby carriers are in different styles, this 360 style, Performance, and the Original sytle. What differentiates Ergobaby carriers is their ergonomic nature which makes it very ideal for parents who are active and like getting around. This particular 360 brand enables you to position your baby in all possible positions that give you comfort.
The images below show how you can use the Ergo carrier in all positions:
Similar to other carriers such as Tula, Ergobaby 360 have options of adding an infant insert for newborns. Ergobaby 360 gives your baby the most exposure to the surrounding. In addition, it is the only Ergobaby brand that allows your baby to face outwards as shown in image number 2 above.
- Very comfortable for both baby and parent
- There is a hood to protect your little one from the sun
- It is very generously padded and well stitched
- It is expensive in comparison ($140.00)
- The Velcro is hard to adjust and annoyingly loud
- It does not have pockets
- You buy an infant insert at an extra price
- Some customers have complained of strain on their shoulders
- The crotch is too wide for small babies but okay for toddlers
3. Baby Hip Seat Carrier Waist Stool
Baby hip seat carrier waist stool is our third-best hip carrier with a waist stool you can find in 2019. Over 200 customers have rated this hip seat carrier 4.5/5 and is currently the 9th best-selling soft baby carrier as shown in the snapshot below
- Very high weight limit (50 pounds)
- Very affordable ($23.99)
- Easy to clean polyester fabric
- Generously padded and comfortable for both baby and mom
- Very sturdy and durable construction
- There is a pouch for essentials
- Ideal for chubby babies who won’t fit comfortably in normal carriers
- No hands-free carry position
- Doesn’t have user instructions but It’s easy to figure out
4. SUNVENO Baby Hip Seat Ergonomic Baby Carrier
Sunveno haby hip seat carrier is our fourth best baby hip seat carrier in 2019. For less than $60 you get this highly rated 4.7/5 by 85 customers on Amazon. It is currently ranked number 18 among the top 100 best-selling soft baby carriers.
- It has a great design
- Lightweight and breathable material
- Machine washable fabric
- Crossed straps to distribute weight evenly to prevent back pain
- The seat is so comfortable for baby
- It is bulky
- Might not fit if your size 12 and above
- Some customers have complained of shoulder pain
Tushbaby baby hip seat carrier is our fifth best baby hip seat carrier in 2019. For less than $80 you get this highly rated 4.5/5 by 160 customers on Amazon. It is currently ranked number 23 among the top 100 best-selling soft baby carriers.
- Very cool design
- High quality and great construction
- Sturdy and durable
- The pockets are very spacious
- Versatile fit for almost people of all sizes (waist of 24-44 inches)
- It is a bit expensive in comparison ($79.00)
- Some parents report that the seat feels hard and that it digs right into their hip causing pain
- It takes a few tries to adjust the Velcro into the right fit
6. Brighter Elements Ergonomic Baby Carrier with Hip Seat
Brighter Elements is our fifth baby carrier with hip seat that is highly rated with an average of 4.5/5 by 213 customers. It is also one of the cheapest hip seats that cost less than $30. It has been designed for kids aged 6 months old to toddler age and with a weight range of 13lbs to 33lbs.
- Very inexpensive ($29)
- The material is soft and breathable
- Provides good support and weight is evenly distributed
- Machine washable and dryer safe
- Detachable cloths where the baby chews and slobbers
- Lower weight limit in comparison (13 to 33 pounds most are above 45 pounds)
- Just one color option
- Not a one size fits all, and no waist information is provided
- Just one very small pocket
- It is bulky
7. Fresh Shine
Fresh Shine is our 7th best baby carrier with a hip seat that has been rated 4.5/5 by 29 customers on Amazon. You can use Fresh Shine to carry your baby using four different ways/positions.
- Great value for the money ($39.99)
- Genius design
- It has a hip seat which is so comfortable for the baby
- Very versatile carrier and hip seat
- The baby sits in an ergonomic position
- It is a bit bulky because of the seat
- It is very tricky for petite and parents with large waist to fit
- Some customers report the seat edge would dig into their hip causing pain
8. Bebamour New Style
Bebamour New Style is our 8th best baby carrier with a hip seat that cost under $45 and has been rated 4.6/5 by 544 customers on Amazon.
9. Ergobaby Carrier
Ergobaby carrier is not the cheapest in this list but it still made it here as it is an excellent 3-position ergonomic carrier with a deep seat that allows you to comfortably squat. Over 450 parents have rated this hip seat carrier 4.4/5.
- Very comfortable for baby and mom
- Has convenient zippered storage for essentials
- No pressure on the back
- Doesn’t have the front-facing position that babies love
- It can get hot when babywearing
- Low reviews citing it has a lot of counterfeits
- You will need help to wear the baby
- The infant insert is pricey and uncomfortable for baby and parent
Below are other features that makes this carrier excellent for any parent in 2020:
- It comes in 11 different designs making it easy for any parent to get the design that would work best for them.
- The weight is evenly distributed in the shoulders and the hips thanks to cushy shoulder straps.
- It is very adjustable and can fit all waists sizes; the waistbelt dimension is 26″-52″ and shoulder straps’ measure is 28″-47”
- The carrier can be used to carry babies of age 4 to 48 months (12 to 45 lbs) without an insert. With the insert, the carrier fits babies ~0-4 months (7-12lbs), sold separately.
The lady below explains how you can wear Ergo with an insert:
Is a hip seat carrier ergonomic?
A hip seat has a wide base that keeps the baby’s hips spread out naturally, the thighs supported, and the knees bent to keep the legs from hanging or dangling. This position is the M shape seated position and also keeps the spine straightened.
Are hip seat carriers safe?
A hip seat is safe so long as it provides proper support, and your baby is held securely in it.
When to use hip seat carrier
Hip seat carriers are not recommended for newborns, but they can be used for preemies, infants and toddlers from about 6 months to 3 years old, depending on the specific carrier and its weight limit. But you must make sure that your baby can support their neck and head first, which usually happens between 4 months and 6 months.
Best hip seat carrier for toddler
- Ergobaby Hip Seat Baby Carrier
- Baby Hip Seat Carrier Baby Waist Stool
- Bebamour Foldable Baby Hip seat Carrier
- Sunveno Baby Hip Seat Ergonomic Baby Carrier
- Three H Baby Hip Seat Belt Carrier Toddler Waist Stool Seat
Apruva hip seat baby carrier
Apruva hip seat baby carrier is a product of Apruva, a leading manufacturer of baby gears and other appliances in the Philippines. They mainly market this seat along with other products in South East Asia through ecommerce platforms like Lazada.
From the Lazada website, they haven’t given much information, but the Apruva hip seat has the following features:
- Designed for babies from 0 to 6 months
- Available in three color options: black, brown and red
- Can be used in the following configurations:
- Front position forward-facing
- Back position
- Front position inward facing
- Horizontal way
- Price P2298
Ergo hip seat baby carrier
The Ergobaby Hip Seat Baby Carrier is one of the best designed and high quality carriers. It is the perfect carrier that will grow with your baby (from 4 months to 4 years) and not just that; it is a convenient way to pick your baby, have them in your arms, and easily put them down.
Depending on your baby’s age, they can be carried in the front (facing parent or facing out), on the hip, and the back.
The way the Ergobaby is designed, you can be sure you will not be experiencing strain on your hips and arms even as your baby becomes older and heavier. It has a wide waistband that supports your back, keeping it straight while carrying the baby. Plus, the baby will be sitting in the hip seat instead of your hip, further relieving you of strain.
You can also have your hands free using the added panel and padded shoulder straps. If you live in hot places, Ergobaby has a Cool Air Mesh model that is more breathable when baby wearing.
You also get an easy-access side pocket you can use to keep your keys and phone. From materials to craft, Ergobaby stands by their products with the ErgoPromise of replacing your carrier or part should you find a manufacture defect at no charge.
You can buy the hip seat from Ergobaby website at the price of $129.00
- For babies weighing 12 to 45 pounds/ 4 to 48 months
- Large, cushioned seat to support a growing baby
- Wide, Velcro waistband
- Removable panel to allow hands-free carrying
- Breathable Mesh
- Padded wrap-around waist belt
- Cushy Shoulder Straps
- Tuck-away baby hood for sun protection and privacy
- Easy-access pocket
- Machine washable
- Breastfeed in carrier
- ErgoPromise Lifetime Guarantee
Hip seat carrier hip dysplasia
A good hip seat carrier positions the baby’s hips and knees in an ergonomic M-position to support the back and prevent the risk of hip dysplasia or dislocation, according to the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
Ergobaby hip seat carrier instructions
You can wear the Ergo in three different ways:
- Front Carry – Facing Parent
With panel: 4+ Months
Without panel: 6+ Month
- Front Carry – Facing Out
With panel: 5+ Months
Without panel: 6+ Months
- Hip Carry
It is machine washable
For more instructions you can follow this link.
What Style Baby Carrier Is Best?
There is no simple answer to this since carriers fall under different styles. Also, one style might appeal to you when your baby is an infant, only for it not to work for you when they are toddlers. The best advice is to explore different styles, and once you have gotten your preferred style, then compare the brands and their performance until you can narrow down to a style and brand that addresses you and your baby’s needs. Also, keep in mind to check if it allows proper positioning to prevent hip dysplasia.
Below are the most common styles in the market currently:
Wraps: A Long piece of stretchy fabric that you tie around your body
Ring sling: A long piece of fabric (usually not stretchy) with two rings on one end that allows you to adjust the tightness to your body while carrying the baby.
Meh dai or mei tai: Asian-style carrier that combines features of a wrap and structured carrier, but instead of buckles, you use ties. Mei tai has two wide, padded straps that go around the waist and another two that go around the shoulders of the parent.
Soft structured carrier: These carriers have padded shoulder straps and adjustable waistbands.
Backpacks/ structured carrier: these carriers have a frame, usually aluminum, and are worn like a backpack. You can only use them with a child who has good neck control. They are designed mainly for hikes.
Which Carrier Is Best for Your Back?
The hip seat carrier is best because it has a wide strap that provides you with Lumbar support in and keeps your back upright. Sitting baby on the padded hip seat, instead of your hip, prevents you from curving your back while keeping baby close to your body and supported. Additionally, the wide waistband provides comfort for your waist and back.
Why Many Choose a Hip Seat Carrier
- It is designed to grow with your baby from the time they are about 4 to 6 months until about four years, depending on the model.
- Hip seat carriers are easy to put on and remove than traditional carriers
- They offer many carrying positions for you and the baby to enjoy
- The baby seats in an ergonomic position allowing their hips to develop naturally
- They do not strain the shoulders and back because the weight is evenly distributed on the hips, pelvis, and legs.
I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at 10BabyGear. I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.