In our babywearing group, we spent a good amount of time a few weeks ago discussing the best rugs for babies. Our small group of 16 mothers had different ideas about different colors, and fabric material ranging from wool, cotton, nylon, acrylic, jute to polyester.
Of all the fabrics indicated, we found wool and cotton fabric to very expensive and are mostly replaced with Polypropylene, a material closer to polythene than cotton (but super soft). In fact, a spot check at the current best-selling brands uncovered that they are mostly made of this thermoplastic polymer. We couldn’t agree on which one between cotton and polypropylene is softer.
Discussing these details along with other key topics about safe materials for crawling babies gave me and my team a good starting point for this research.
One thing we did agree and think I should mention here is the color you decide to pick. While the sizes of baby rugs for the baby’s rooms may vary, the color of the rug will determine the theme of your baby’s nursery. Babies are color-sensitive, they just like colorful material. Whether you have a boy or a girl, a colorful color would do. Yes. Even the pink rug would be great for your baby’s room. If you are however stuck with going with gender-based colors such as blue for boys, go for it. I personally prefer grey or white rugs but any color may not be too bad.
Regarding the design of the rug, your baby may not see much of this especially if your baby is still an infant. You can basically be as creative as you want. Do you want an elephant design? You’ve got it.
The one shown alongside was on offer for about $36 and you just might make your baby smile more.
Another big consideration that you should watch out for is the sensitivity of your baby’s skin to different fabrics. A rug can burn baby face, baby knees, or even stomach and you may end up seeking treatment for rug burns as they can be considered first-degree burns. You should be aware of your baby’s sensitivity and always go for a non-toxic area rug for baby. While it may be exciting and possibly great to get a foam rug, sheepskin rug or fur rug, make sure your baby skin will not get burned by these external, potentially toxic materials.
We have spent over 20 hours comparing the finer details of the rugs that made to our top 5 and before we review them, let’s summarize what’s we found. The best rug for your baby will vary depending on the sensitivity of your baby’s skin. However, it is important to note that regardless of the fabric, a soft fabric made from organic material is the best.
How to choose a rug and what we used to rank rugs for nurseries.
- The softness of the fabric used to make the material
- The reaction babies have to the material used to make the rug – You should stay away from those that made from materials babies are allergic to
- The ease of cleaning: Before buying ask yourself how easy it would be to clean it
- Safety: Make sure the rug you are buying does not pose any safety risk to your baby such easy-to-fall material.
5 Best Rugs for Baby to Crawl on:
Below is a list of our top 5 rugs your baby can use to crawl:
- ACTCUT Area Rug
- Ottomanson Soft Cozy Color Solid Shag Area Rug
- PAGISOFE Soft Girls Room Rug Baby Nursery
- BlueSnail Super Ultra Soft Modern Shag Area Rugs, 4′ x 5′
- Cozy Shag Collection Shag Rug Contemporary
Our best baby rug deal in March 2020 is Safavieh Evoke Collection EVK272A that’s is currently on sale for 67% off its usual price. Check out the deal on Amazon here.
Review of the 10 Best Rugs for Baby to Crawl
Actut area rag took our crown as the overall softest rug for your baby to crawl in 2020. With a 4.5-inch thickness, you can rely on it to give your baby the greatest comfort, all-day long.
The material is very cheap and will cost you less than $20 and is made of synthetic material that is very easy to clean. In November 2019, over 2,400 parents have rated it 4/5 and is currently the second best-selling rug on Amazon (under Nursery Rugs category). It is second to PAGISOFE Ultra, which is currently the best-selling baby rug for crawling babies on Amazon.
Actut baby rug for crawling comes in three sizes. The three options all have a length of 5 ft. and widths of 2.5ft, 2.6ft, and 4ft. If you are purchasing this to cover a wider area in the nursery, the 4ft by 5ft option (the biggest would be best).
It is made of synthetic material and although the material is not made of cotton or wool, it is very breathable and several parents have attested this
- The rug can be washed using a machine but it is not advisable to dry it using a machine. You should leave out, perhaps in the sun to dry and it can take a few hours to fully dry.
- This rug can be installed on any floor, tiled floors or wooden floors and you can rely on it to be firmly in place without using any stick-glue)
- It weighs 1.8 pounds
- It is advisable to use a hose tool instead of a vacuum if you prefer not to use the washing machine.
- 4.5 cm thick, soft and comfortable.
- While this rug is meant for your baby to enjoy the soft fabric and roll around, you should note that it can be used to decorate your floor and for your toddlers to play or even do yoga.
Ottomanson Soft Cozy Color Solid Shag Area Rug emerged as the 2nd best rug for your baby to crawl on in this 2020 list.
- 100% Polypropylene
- Resistant to fade, stain or wear.
- It is a simple yet sophisticated trendy look that’ll easily blend with any home decor
- It creates a cozy look and enhances the appearance of your room at all times.
- Measures 79 x 111 x 1.2 inches
- Thick pile design and soft material.
PAGISOFE Soft Girls Room Rug Baby Nursery was selected as the 3rd best rug for your baby to crawl on in this 2020 list.
- It has a Super Soft Feeling
- The rug is approximately 4 centimeters in height
- It measures 5.3 x 4 feet wide
- It has velvet surface and the plush is approx 3cm high
- It has skid-resistant rubber bottom
- It has easy-to-clean quality
- It has a beautiful color and nine great colors to choose from.
BlueSnail Super Ultra Soft Modern Shag Area Rugs was the 4th best rug for your baby to crawl on.
- Made from a synthetic material
- It has a plush blanket-like texture that is soft to touch and also looks very soft.
- The fibers bounce back when there’s an absence of pressure.
- It comes with a lot of colors to choose from; grass green, grayish purple, silver gray, white, beige, pink, purple, apple green, and coffee.
- It measures 4 x 5.3 feet
- It is a rectangular rug and you can place several rugs side by side for a bigger room coverage.
- It is light and very portable to anywhere you would desire to place it.
- It has a skid-proof feature and that makes it relatively stable.
- You can use a soft brush or a vacuum cleaner to clean it. If washed, please do not exceed 85F, and add softener to deal with.
Cozy Shag Collection Shag Rug Contemporary was our 5th best rug for your baby to crawl on in 2020. You should, however, note that as of this update in march 2020, this rug is currently not available for sale in Amazon. Check the link alongside though. Perhaps, it will be available by the time you’re reading this.
- It has a beautiful design and texture.
- It has very beautiful colors to choose from such as elegant gray and attractive turquoise.
- It has a slow shedding rate because the material makes it very durable.
- It has a high resistance against stains and spots
- It is very soft to touch and hence your baby will enjoy crawling and playing on this rug.
Things to Consider Before You Buy
Some of the things that you should consider when you want to buy the baby rug in order to ensure that your baby is safe to crawl on include;
- Ensure that the material used to make the rug are non-toxic and safe. You do this by making sure that they are materials with low levels of volatile organic compounds (VOC).
- You should make sure that you choose soft, plush and comfortable rugs for the protect the baby’s fragile body parts when they are crawling.
- Ensure you choose rugs that are easy to clean and vacuum. Rugs that have a high resistance to stains and spots because mostly babies can be quite messy when playing.
- Choose materials that are durable even after been used for a long time.
- Check for the size and style that best blends in with your home decor.
Important Tips when using baby rugs
- You should first air the rug before installing it in any part of your home, especially in your baby’s room or nursery.
- Make sure you open all the windows after the rug is installed in the baby’s room or any room i.e off-gassing. .
- Dig your fingers into the rug in order to test its durability. If it is difficult for your fingers to reach the rug’s bottom, then it has higher quality hence it is more durable.
- Never machine wash rugs unless the manufacturer states it.