If you are looking for the latest smartwatch brands to pick from for kids today, then read on as I have reviewed the best smartwatch for kids in 2021.
Smartwatches don’t have to be only for adults. Nowadays, there is a wide range of smartwatches designed to appeal to young ones with educational apps and games to keep them busy for hours. The good thing is that unlike phones, smartwatches have good parental control and restricted access to inappropriate content. They also make it possible for parents to keep in touch with their kids through two-way calls and messaging. Some even have GPS and SOS functions helping parents to keep track of their kid’s whereabouts.
If you would like one for your child or grandchild or special friend, you can check out from our list the best smartwatches in the market for kids. Pay attention to the functions and age recommendations to help you choose the best smartwatch for kids from these:
Reviews of Best Smartwatches for Kids in 2021
1. 321OU Touch Screen Bluetooth Smart Watch
For the best gift for your child, we choose this beautiful, smartwatch by 321OU. It is designed to be used by kids and adults alike, so you know it packs many useful apps and features. The other reason it’s top on our list is it’s incredibly cheap pricing (less than $30).
The smartwatch has a two-way call function enabling your child to receive and make calls. When using a sim card, they can view messages on Whatsapp and email, if it is connected to their smartphone by Bluetooth.
Most kids and teenagers love taking selfies and photos and listening to music. If that describes your child, they will definitely love this watch as it has both music and a camera. With a Micro SD (bought separately), your child can save all the pictures of fun moments they had during the day and upload music from their computer to listen to.
The smartwatch also counts as a great tool to inspire kids to become more active and health conscious as it has a pedometer to monitor the distance they have covered and steps made. It also has a sedentary reminder to keep your child from sitting too long, which is dangerous for their health. And finally, it has a sleep monitor that sends a detailed report on the app, so as a parent, you will always know how well your child is sleeping.
|Dimensions||3.54 x 3.11 x 2.95 inches|
|Amazon rating||3.0/5 by 1365 customers|
- It is affordable
- It has a good sensitive touch screen that makes operations enjoyable
- It synchronizes with smartphones very fast
- It is a large-sized watch which may be too bulky for smaller kids
- Does not come with a Sim card or microSD
- The battery lasts a few hours with use and needs one to update time and date after every charging session
- iPhone users find it hard to synch or use
2. Fitbit Ace
Play is a vital aspect for kids’ development, and in fact, the CDC recommends that children should have 60 minutes of daily activity. That’s why you need to consider getting Fitbit Ace for your child. It is a fitness tracker designed to track daily steps, active minutes and displays the reading on the smartwatch’s display screen. With the Fitbit app on your smartphone, you can always track how your child is fairing. It also encourages having fitness goals, gives in-app rewards and badges when your child reaches the goals. It also tracks sleep, which is another important aspect for healthy development and an alarm with vibration.
And like any other watch, it displays time, so your child will learn to read the time and alarm function, which vibrates against the wrist.
Fitbit Ace smartwatch is slim and in beautiful color options, blue and purple to cater for boys and girls, and the stylish design will go with any outfit.
Lastly, the battery lasts up to 5 days before requiring charge according to the manufacturer, although it will depend on usage among other factors.
|Amazon rating||4.3/5 by 864 customers|
- It is affordably priced
- It synchronizes with Android and iOS
- It has a long battery life
- It is hard wearing as it withstands constant movement, drops, and water splashes
- Some customers complained that the set up was hard
- The band might be small for some children, but it can be replaced with the Alta band.
3. LDB Direct Kids Smartwatch with GPS
$15.12 out of stock
1 used from $15.12
If you are the parent who is a bit worried about your child going to unfamiliar places or for their safety for any reason (we all do it anyway), the LDB smartwatch will give you and your child peace of mind. It has a GPS tracker that will allow you to locate where your child is at all times easily. If there is a certain place you would not like your child to go venturing out, you can set an alert to be notified when they go to that specific area. It also has an SOS function with up to three numbers your child can call in case of an emergency or if they are lost.
The smartwatch also enables everyday communication with family and friends with two-way calls and voice messaging. During school hours, parents can set it to non-disturb mode to ensure disturbing calls are not allowed through.
It is also an educational tool with math games with three levels of difficulty. This helps to sharpen the young one’s minds and becomes a fun activity with the timer limit and other kids participating competitively.
It also has a camera to record all the fun moments while the flashlight provides light to be able to see at night when needed.
|Dimensions||4.4 x 3.6 x 1.5 inches|
|Recommended age||3 years and above|
|Amazon rating||2.7/5 by 30 customers|
|Sim card||2G GMS|
- Very easy for children to operate
- It is affordable
- It is light, and the bands are soft, making it comfortable for small wrists
- Only supports 2G network
- There have been reports of problems with GPS
4. Jsbaby Kids Smartwatch
This is perhaps the cheapest model in the market ($15), but it has great functions like GPS and a system to keep you and your child connected no matter where they are. It is a basic model designed to keep young children safe, connected, and entertained.
The smartwatch allows your child to save three phone numbers and can place and receive calls as well as leave voice messages. Parents can also send text messages for the young wearer to read.
In terms of safety, this model has GPS/LBS tracking capabilities enabling you to always know where your child is. And in case of an emergency your child can press the SOS button for three seconds to connect them to their pre-programmed emergency contacts.
This smartwatch also includes a camera so your child can take photos to come show you all they were up to all day, which is really cool.
|Dimensions||4.4 x 3.8 x 1.4 inches|
|Amazon rating||2.7/5 by 16 customers|
|Sim card||2G GMS|
- It’s the cheapest model on this list
- Basic functionality which is easy for the young children to use
- Adjustable wristband that fits small children’s wrists
- Compatible with iOS and Android
- It requires a sim card to work (bought separately)
- Only capable of using 2G network
- It is not compatible with some phone companies
- Does not have legible instructions, which makes the set up difficult
5. GizmoWatch by Verizon
GizmoWatch is designed to keep your kids safe, fit, and entertained. It is suitable for children aged 3 to 11 years.
It connects to the 4G LTE network for fast speed and reliability, and with the two -way calls and messaging, and your child can stay connected to up to 10 trusted family and friends.
If you would not like your child to go exploring a certain area or neighborhood, you can set up the GPS boundaries, so you will be alerted if and when they get to the specific location.
It also inspires your child to be active by counting their daily steps and setting fitness goals. Plus, your child can send schedule reminders using on-screen event notifications.
The smartwatch is also water resistant, so you don’t need to worry about the watch dying if your child decides to jump into the pool wearing it. It is also compatible with any standard 20 mm watch straps, which means you can buy different strap types or colors to suit different occasions or as you wish.
|Dimensions||0.6 x 1.85 x 1.65 inches|
|Amazon rating||4.1/5 by 130 customers|
6. Themoemoe Kids Smartwatch
$15.99 in stock
Themoemoe is another basic smartwatch with a few functions, which makes it great for small children.
It has GPS enabling you to know your child’s whereabouts at all times. And, when you connect to the app, you can add 10 phone numbers of your choice that your child can call. Additionally, the SOS function allows you to preset 3 contacts that your child can connect to within three seconds in the event of an emergency.
Using the smartwatch, you can always stay in touch with your child, thanks to the two-way calls and voice chat. When your child is in school, you can set the smartwatch to classroom mode to prevent any disturbances from other functions except the SOS function.
It also has a front camera so your child can take pictures of any fun stuff they come across in their day. Using the app, a parent can open the camera remotely, enabling them to see exactly where the child is and what they are doing. This means you have excellent parental control.
|Dimensions||4.33 x 3.62 x 1.46 inches|
|Amazon rating||2.9/5 by 59 customers|
- Uses very good quality materials to withstand long wearing while remaining comfortable on the wrist
- Compatible with most Android and iOS
- Uses both GPS and LBS for more accurate tracking
- Remote cameras enable parents to see exactly where the child is and what they are up to.
- It has very good quality pictures
- It does not function at all without a sim card, which you buy separately
- Customers find it a bit hard to set up because instructions are hard to follow
- Displays time in 24 hour format only
7. Disney Smart Watch
2 used from $30.80
This super cute Disney themed smartwatch is an excellent gift for any little girl below six years. It has simple functions, but your girl will love it.
The features included are mostly for fun, like interchangeable background with ten Minnie Mouse faces and clocks. Additionally, it has three other built-in games that will keep her engaged.
The smartwatch has a front facing camera for your little girl to take selfies and a voice recorder so she can have fun listening to her voice while singing and giving imaginary speeches. It also has a pedometer to track daily steps she makes, which will motivate her to be active.
This smartwatch has a long lasting rechargeable battery and comes complete with a USB charger. Other features include an alarm, stopwatch, and calculator, making this a multifunctional smartwatch that will give your kid a lot to do.
|Manufacturer||Accutime Watch Corp|
|Dimensions||6.6 x 3.6 x 3.4 inches|
|Amazon rating||4.4/5 by 199 customers|
- Adorable design that small kids will love
- Simple function for small kids
- Easy to set up
- Uses a long lasting rechargeable battery
- The color and design may be only suitable for girls
- The quality and functionality are only impressive for small kids
- The watch is really large and may be too bulky for small wrists
8. Garmin vivofit jr 2
3 used from $29.29
This next product is another activity tracker like the Fitbit Ace we reviewed earlier, but the Garmin is a cartoon-themed with all your child’s favorite cartoon pictures from spiderman, star wars, Disney characters, and more.
Garmin jr2 is the perfect activity tracker because of its high-quality design to withstand everyday wearing, bumps, and bashes. It is also waterproof. It counts the daily steps made and has two reminders; one for when your child has been sedentary and another reminding them to have the recommended 60 minutes of activity.
Besides tracking activity, it also monitors your child’s sleep and will give a report in the family app so parents can know how their child slept the previous night. It also has clock features that are educative for your child, including an alarm, stopwatch, and timer.
Another feature the kids will love is the toe to toe challenge, which becomes more fun when they compete with their friends.
Even as parents, this smartwatch has some functions you can use to your advantage. Use the in-app coin reward to challenge your child further and promise them a special treat upon completion. Or, use the chore feature to schedule chores on a regular interval, and the smartwatch will remind your child to do a certain task at a particular time, teaching them to be organized and responsible.
This smartwatch is available in two different style bands made of soft durable silicone. One is stretchy, measuring up to 147mm, and this is designed for kids aged between 4 to 7 years. The other type is adjustable with a buckle for a wrist size up to 170mm, which is intended for kids aged 6 and above.
|Dimensions||2 x 1.6 x 0.9 inches|
|Amazon rating||4.4/5 by 321 customers|
|Ranking||# 7 in Activity & fitness trackers|
- High quality built for rough wearing and swimming without damage.
- Compatible with Android, iOS, and Amazon fire devices via Bluetooth
- It gives good parental control to monitor fitness data and set up chores
- Uses non-rechargeable battery that lasts for one year before needing replacement
- Have colorful cartoon design options suitable for both boys and girls
- For the price, it would be great if included GPS
9. VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX2
One of the best features of VTech smartwatches is the camera quality. The DX2 is their newest model with a more sleek and stylish design and an additional selfie camera. With this smartwatch, your child will love taking pictures and videos. You can upload the pictures and videos on a computer with an included USB. Moreover, your child can customize pictures with filters to make fun watch faces.
This smartwatch includes a motion sensor that works with motion apps such as Funky Jump, Crazy Dance, and Racing run. These apps encourage your child to jump, dance, and run. Meanwhile, the watch will be playing sound effects and tracking their steps, which is a fun way to keep your child motivated as they exercise.
It also includes five exciting games, including Monster Catcher, where the player needs to capture monsters in the real world using the camera. And, if the five are not enough, you can download more games.
There is a lot your child can learn with this smartwatch. First, of course, is how to read the time from different clock designs in both analog and digital faces and timing using tools such as an alarm, timer, and a calendar. The second is learning to use their creativity to add stamps, frames, and filters to photos and videos.
|Dimensions||8.9 x 0.7 x 1.8 inches|
|Recommended age||4 to 12 years|
|Amazon rating||4.5/5 by 7,405 customers|
|Ranking||# 4 in Electronic Learning & Educational toys|
- It has parental controls allowing you to set game limits
- It has two cameras to take pictures of surrounding and selfies
- It has a long lasting battery that lasts up two weeks with light use
- Allows pictures and videos to be transferred to a computer and vice versa with the included USB cable
- It is very easy to set up
- Functions independently without requiring Bluetooth or Wifi
- It has lots of fun games and educational features
- The pedometer is not as accurate as other fitness trackers
- The games may be too basic for older children
- It is not waterproof, but it will survive splashes
- It is only charged from a computer, making kids without access to their own computers not to be able to charge when needed sometimes.
10. Amazfit Bip Smartwatch
The Amazfit Bip is primarily designed for adults, but the features are impressive for teens already having smartphones. It is lightweight and with smooth straps making it comfortable to wear all day long.
This smartwatch has two major functions: keeping in touch with the world and fitness tracking. Using Bluetooth, the wearer can be notified of calls, messages, and other notifications from various smartphone apps like Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, and more. The smartwatch vibrates against the arm, making it hard to miss any calls, messages, reminders, or notifications.
Regarding fitness, the smartwatch tracks all kinds of sports done both indoors and outdoors. Using GPS and optical heart rate, it tracks the distance covered, steps taken, speed, calories burned, elevation, quality of sleep, and more depending on the selected sports mode. When the wearer sits too long, it sends reminders or vibrations from the alarm clock.
And as with any smartwatch, the display is customizable with many faces if you get bored with one, and it displays time and weather as well.
Last but not least, this smartwatch has the longest battery life in the market. The manufacturer says it can last up to 45 days! Of course, it will depend on the usage, but one can still get up to more than a week, even with heavy usage. That makes it the perfect accessory for your teen when camping and hiking as they don’t have to worry about not having a power source.
|Dimensions||7.9 x 12.1 x 18.1 inches|
|Amazon rating||4.0/5 by 8,743 customers|
- The pricing offers great value for money
- The screen remains on at all times end has adequate visibility even in the sun
- Has an unbeatable long battery life
- It has an adjustable band to fit people with small and big wrists
- Has limited functions and without camera or music player
- Does not have a speaker or mic, which makes it impossible to talk directly with callers on phone
- You cannot type on the screen; hence you can only read but not reply to incoming messages directly.