The original Wyze Cam and Wyze Cam V2 are currently the cheapest, AES128-bit encrypted home security cameras (As of September 2019 data from Amazon) that can be turned into baby monitors. We compared Wyze Cam and other Wifi baby monitors and security cameras and it came 10th behind Nanit Plus, Miku baby monitor, Lefun and iBaby M7, among others. When you use Wyze Camera as a baby monitor, you essentially turn the Wyze security camera into a baby cam and can stream videos from your Wyze Camera in the baby nursery to your smartphone.
Wyze Cameras are designed for use as indoor home security cameras but can be turned into baby monitors, outdoor cameras (although not recommended as it is not waterproof) and to monitor pets/dogs or for general security. Some users have actually turned Wyze Cameras into a front door camera/doorbell cam but in this review, we’ll dwell on the use of Wyze Cameras in baby’s nursery as a baby monitor.
Wyze Cam Original (V1)
The Wyze cam v1 is a discreet indoor camera measuring 2.2 x 2x 2 inches. It comes with a magnetic base for easy installation so as not to damage your walls with screws. It is an indoor camera that can be used as a baby monitor, in your business premises, or for monitoring your property.
This camera offers 1080p HD video that you can live stream to your Wyze app on your Android or Apple mobile device if they use 2.4GHz Wifi. Apart from the video, the camera has a two-way talk function, night vision that enables you to see up to 30 feet in absolute darkness, and voice control with Alexa or Google assistant.
You can add multiple cameras with no limit and record and save video footage for 14 days on the cloud for free. If you wish to have continuous video recording 24/7, Wyze Cam gives you the option of adding 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB micro SD cards (bought separately)to enable continuous monitoring.
Using the Wyze app, you get to manage and view multiple cameras, share your cameras with family and friends of your choice, view alert videos, and record and share photos and videos directly from the app.
Although you can place the camera anywhere with the help of the magnetic base and a flexible 3-axis design, you must connect it to a power source because it does not use batteries. Luckily, it comes with an AC adapter.
Currently, this model has been upgraded to Wyze Cam v2 for better delivery, of course.
The original Wyze Cam original that was released in 2017 is the cheapest of all the three models and has the following features:
Brand: Wyze Cam 1080p HD Camera
Rating: 4.3/5 by over 12k customers
Weight: 7.8 ounces
Dimension: 2.2 x 2 x 2 in
Display Size: App
Power Source: AC
Maximum Range: Xft.
- Ridiculously inexpensive pricing ($25.23)
- Great picture quality
- 8X zoom for a closer view
- Excellent night vision
- The Alexa is so cool; you get to stay on top of things with just your voice
- 14 days footage cloud storage with no subscription fee
- App with no camera support limit
- Allows continuous video recording using microSD cards for free
- The two-way talk requires the other person to mute the camera to listen to you and vice versa
- The set alerts run for just a few seconds, and then there is a cool-down period of five minutes before the next alert.
- Security is not guaranteed
- You cannot bypass cloud storage to just microSD
Wyze Cam V2 1080p HD
As earlier said, the Wyze Cam v2 is an upgraded version of V1, so they share a lot of the features. The Wyze Cam v2 entered the market in 2018, and just like its older sibling, its performance is impressive. On Amazon, it is ranked # no.1 in Surveillance & security cameras, with a 4.6 out of 5 ratings by 623 customers. Like V1, It is a 1080p HD indoor camera that can be mounted anywhere thanks to its magnetic base and an adhesive metal plate.
Since it’s an upgrade version of the v1, it was designed to offer better picture clarity due to the 110 degrees field of view and 8 x zoom function for a closer view. It also offers better night vision and a motion tagging function (not in the Cam V1). The Wyze motion tagging technology enables the camera to follow the motion or object and keep it within its field of view. What’s more, you can tell the camera the specific area you want it to monitor for movement and send you an alert. It has also added another feature that the high-end cameras brag about: artificial intelligence with facial recognition.
The camera sends live stream video and audio on the Wyze app on your iOS and Android device that operates using 2.4GHz Wifi. Once it detects motion or sound, it sends you video clip alerts and keeps records on the cloud, which you can access within 14 days for free. You can also insert up to 32 GB microSD into the camera and allow for continuous video recording. We love that you can set motion and sound parameters so that the camera only sends you alerts when it detects motion or sound like you had set, so you don’t have to watch your app constantly.
Like the V1, you can add multiple cameras with no limit and add other users to your Wyze account to share and manage the cameras from any location in the world so long as they have downloaded the Wyze app on their android or iOS devices.
It also has the feature we all love; Alexa and Google Assistant. So you can say, “Alexa, show me the nursery…” to check on your little one.
Wyze Cam V2 is the second generation security camera by Wyze Cam which was released as an improvement to the original Wyze Cam.
Below are the features:
Brand: Wyze Cam V2 1080p HD
Rating on Amazon: 4.3/5 (11,000 reviews)
Weight: 7.8 pounds
Dimension: 2.2 x 2 x 2 in
Price: $25.98 and $34 with SD card
Power Source: AC
Zoom, Pan: No
Maximum Range: Xft
- Very inexpensive pricing ($38.96 including 32GB microSD)
- Crystal picture quality
- Excellent night vision
- Person detection and motion tagging feature is a plus
- There is a slight lapse in motion to notification
- The alert video clips are too short (12 sec) and 5 minutes for cool down before the next alert. This leaves gaps in monitoring, although you can solve the problem with continuous monitoring.
Wyze Cam Pan 1080p HD
Wyze Cam Pan is the upgraded version that combines all functions of Wyze cam and Wyze Cam v2. It was introduced in the market in 2018 has continued the high rating trend, receiving a 4.3 out of 5-star ratings by 21,234 customers on Amazon.
Although it is not big sized, it is more than twice taller than the Cam v2, measuring 2.36 x 2.36 x 5.02 inches but in many aspects the features are similar.
Wyze Cam Pan is an indoor Wifi camera with a video resolution of 1080p with pan/ tilt and zoom capabilities. Pan, tilt, and zoom (PTZ) let you control Wyze Cam Pan remotely from the Wyze app so you can see every angle of your room, on-demand. You can also have the camera monitor your room automatically using the Pan Scan by setting four predefined waypoints. Panning gives a 360° left/right rotation range and tilting a 93° up/down.
Using the Wyze app, you can live stream video and have a two-way talk function day and night. The night vision has six infrared lights as opposed to four in the Cam v2. The camera saves 12-second video clips when it detects motion or sound to the cloud for 14 days free of charge.
Just like the other Wyze cams, you can enable the push notifications to be alerted only when something is detected, and you can record continuously to a microSD card which you purchase separately. It is also voice controlled with Alexa and Google, and you can have multiple cameras and allow several multiple people to share your cameras.
Wyze Cam Pan 1080p HD is the latest addition to Wyze Cam’s brand of cameras that can be turned into a baby monitor
Brand: Wyze Cam Pan 1080p HD
Reviews: 4.2/5 by over 5k customers
Weight: 8.8 ounces
Dimension: 2.4 x 2.4 x 5 inches
Power Source: AC
Zoom, Pan: Yes
Maximum Range: Xft
- Fantastic pricing of $37.98 (as of this writing)
- Wider field of view with pan and tilt features
- Excellent picture quality day and night
- Great for baby monitoring since you can see what your crawling toddler is up to with pan and tilt features
- Facial recognition capability
- Limited powering option (just the AC) so monitoring is discontinued if there is a power blackout.
- The app does run on PC or Mac, only on android phones and iOS.
- If using as a baby monitor, the alert is a very short-lived one, which might not wake you up at night.
- The 15 fps makes the recording of moving objects less fluid or have glitches
- Customers wish that they could set a loud and prolonged alert sound so they can be wakened if sleeping.
- Some customers report they sometimes do not get alerts even when the push notification function is enabled.
After going through the overview of the three brands, here is a summary of Wyze Cam company.
Wyze Cam Company
Wyze cam company, the owner of the Wyze brand was founded on July 19, 2017, and is incorporated in Seattle in Washington State, US. While Wyze company has its Wyze labs in Washington, it has taken an all-product-components sourcing approach which has basically allowed them to reduce product development cost.
Wyze Cam sources its parts such as camera hardware from off-the-shelf IP cameras and it has grown rapidly since its launch in 2017. Wyze Cam is now available on sale in China, Europe (through Amazon UK and Amazon Germany), Australia, and Canada.
Wyze Cam is currently Amazon Prime-eligible and you can get it shipped and delivered within 24 hours if you are in Amazon Prime-countries such as the US and UK. In the US and wondering where to buy Wyze Cam, you can check on your local Walmart store or on Amazon.
Despite its very low price, almost similar to those of audio baby monitors such as the VTech models that sell for less than $20, Wyze Cam has some of the most advanced features you’d want in a baby monitor.
So, why is it so cheap?
To reduce its cost of production by more than 90% when compared to its peers such as Nest, Arlo, Blink, and Ring, Wyze did these two things:
- Adopt existing hardware to effectively reduce a unique product development cost. All the hardware and the hardcoded firmware that run the Wyze Cam and Wyze Cam pan and tilt baby monitor were obtained off the shelf. So no dime to set up the Wyze.
- Incredible execution to sell the Wyze Cam: Wyze Cam is owned and run by former Amazon employees who identified the market gap and ran with it. They went for low margins and high volume model and since their successful launch on October 17, 2017. Within 6 months, the Wyze team managed to sell over 300,000 Wyze Cams.
Is Wyze Cam safe?
While some reviews have made claims that Wyze Cam uses third party iOT service provider called ThroughTek to manage Wyze Camera video transmissions, Wyze has vigorously defended that its data is safe. ThroughTek is headquartered in Taiwan with offices in Japan and China and none in the US. ThroughTek has partnered with several cloud services providers including AWS, Microsoft Azure, IBM Cloud, and Aliyum/Alibaba.
The Wyze Cam (original) responded when the claim that a foreign company was managing its data saying the data is sent to the AWS servers securely. While this is true, data from the original Wyze cam to AWS are routed through many of its cloud partners such as Linode(US), IBM (US), Vultr/Choopa (Europe), and Aliyum/Alibaba (China) and an NTP server in Russia.
In May 2018, Wyze Cam sent out a report indicating that Wyze Cam v2 video feeds will now be routed to US-based servers by its partner, ThroughTek. Below is a snapshot from a forum about the update:
While Wyze Cam has made the claim that the data is secure, we could not confirm why the data is not sent to s3 buckets of the AWS accounts users create when they set up AWS cloud storage plan with Wyze. One valid reason they stated was the cost of s3 buckets would just be high and a few users would find this feature useful/willing to pay.
Wyze Cam original vs Wyze Cam v2
- Both are of similar size
- They record HD video with 1080p resolution
- Both have zoom capability
- Both are indoor cameras
- They have night vision with infrared led lights
- They offer two-way audio communications
- Both have voice control with Alexa and Google Assistant
- They detect motion and sound and send you live stream video on Wyze app
- They send you video alert when motion or noise is detected
- They save video playback to the cloud for 14 days
- They are very inexpensive
- They record continuously if you add microSD card
- They have push notification function, so you only receive alerts when there is motion or sound
- Wyze v1 is no longer in sale
- V1 has 10fps while V2 has 15 fps
- V2 has motion tagging technology which detects and focuses on the motion while V1 does not
- V2 has a powerful new CMOS sensor, which gives clearer images for both day and night vision.
- V2 has higher sound quality thanks to the Class-K audio power amplifier and a new audio chip that greatly reduces TDD interference and EMI.
- V2 has a matte finish instead of the glossy finish of the V1 to reduce reflection.
Wyze Cam v2 vs Wyze Cam Pan
- Both are Wifi based on Android and iOS devices
- They have a two-way talk function
- They have night vision
- Both have artificial intelligence for facial recognition
- They allow live stream on 1080p HD video
- They store footage on the cloud for 14 days for free
- They allow storage on microSD for continuous video recording
- They allow the addition of multiple cameras with no limit
- They send 12-second video alert when they detect motion and sound
- Both allow voice control with Alexa and Google assistant
- The Wyze Cam Pan is great for monitoring across an entire room because the motor enables you to pan and tilt the lens to get a 360° left/right and 93° up/down viewing range. On the other hand, Wyze Cam is great for viewing a particular spot like the front door, for example.
- While both cameras have great picture quality, Wyze Cam has a noticeably better dynamic range.
- Wyze Cam Pan has 6 infrared led lights while Wyze cam has 4. This explains the difference in the quality of night vision.
- Pan has better low light performance when IR is off while Cam is better with IR on as it has a wider beam allowing more to be seen at night
- Wyze Cam Pan has a Pan Scan mode that checks the camera’s surroundings by rotating to preset positions every 10 seconds
- Wyze Pan has a 1/4″-20 threaded screw hole in the base that allows it to be mounted on a tripod or mount while Cam comes with a magnetic base only.
- Wyze Pan camera has a 120-degree wide-angle lens and CMOS sensor while the Cam has a 110-degree wide-angle lens
- Wyze Pan uses way more power than Wyze Cam
Here Is A Video of Wyze Cam V2 as Baby Monitor
Wyze Cam Vs. Nest
Nest Cam is currently being marketed by Google Nest but it was developed by Nest Labs. It has been in the market since 2015 and it is one of the highest-rated security cameras. Below is a quick view of how it compares to Wyze Cam.
- Both offer 1080p video resolution
- Both have automatic night vision
- Both have two-way talk function
- Both allow you to zoom in
- Both detect sound and motion and send alert to their apps over Wifi
- Both allow you to add other users to your account
- Both save video footage to the cloud
- Nest Cam is a way more expensive option $129.00 (which is three times more as of this writing)
- While Wyze Cam allows you to record video footage on your SD card Nest does not support such recording
- Wyze Cam set up is much easier thanks to a pre-recorded voice that guides you through the process.
- Nest cam has a wider field of view (130 degrees vs 110 degrees) and a smoother frame rate (30fps vs 10fps) than the Wyze Cam.
- Wyze Cam runs on only iOS and Android, but Nest can run on computers via Nest’s website.
- While you don’t require any subscription fee to get the full benefits of Wyze, Nest Cam requires you to pay for a Nest Aware subscription.
- Nest Cam offers facial recognition for people and pets, while Wyze Cam does not.
- In addition to the alerts, Nest sends you a 3-hour snap short history, so you don’t miss any event. This is not so with Wyze, although you have the option of continuous recording.
- Wyze Cam gives you 14 days of free cloud storage roll back, but you need to pay monthly subscriptions with Nest to get rollbacks depending on your subscription package.
- Nest night vision is better with 8 infrared led lights in comparison to Wyze cam’s 4 infrared led lights.
- Nest has more mounting options; the shelf, wall, or magnetic base, while Wyze cam is just a magnetic base.
Wyze cam vs Arlo
Arlo is the original camera of Arlo Technologies, a home automation company based in California, US. Since 2018, they have been specializing in making wireless cameras among them, the Arlo Camera. Below is how it stacks up against Wyze Cam:
- Both have night vision function
- Both are Wifi based
- Both works with Alexa and Google assistant
- Both detect motion and send alerts
- Wyze Cam offers HD video with 1080p resolution while the Arlo camera has a 720p resolution.
- While Wyze Cam is designed for indoor monitoring, the Arlo camera can be used both indoors and outdoors because it is weather resistant.
- Arlo camera is wireless so you can place them anywhere while Wyze cam comes with cords.
- Unlike Wyze Cam which is only powered by AC, the Arlo camera can be powered by both rechargeable batteries and AC power.
- Arlo Camera does not detect sound while Wyze Cam detects both sound and motion.
- Arlo camera sends you email motion alerts while Wyze Cam sends you video clips.
- Arlo Camera only allows you 7 days of free rolling cloud storage while Wyze Cam gives you 14 days free
- Arlo camera works with Echo Show Fire TV, IFTTT, Samsung SmartThings, and more, within 300 feet within the line of sight.
- Arlo app supports only five cameras while Wyze app supports unlimited cameras
- With Arlo Smart
- While you can store your video footage locally with Wyze Cam, Arlo does not allow this.
- Arlo has a monthly subscription for Arlo Smart, which gives additional cloud storage and artificial intelligence and emergency call services. Wyze Cam does don’t have such service or subscriptions.
- Arlo camera costs $291.99, which is 10 times the price of the Wyze Cam (as of this writing).
Wyze Cam vs Arlo Pro 2
- Both live stream to any iOS or Android device from anywhere on 1080 resolution
- They support a 2.4GHz Wifi connection
- They have a two-way talk function
- They have night vision using infrared lights
- They detect motion and sound and send you alerts on your mobile device
- They have zoom feature allowing you to take a closer look
- They allow smart home integrations such as Alexa and Google Assistant voice assistants
- Wyze cam is more discrete due to its smaller size, and it is a compact square design. Arlo Pro 2, on the other hand, is bigger with an aesthetic modern oval-shaped design.
- Wyze is designed for use indoors unless it is paired with a protective mount or skin, while Arlo Pro 2 can be used both indoors and outdoors. Arlo Pro 2 is weather-resistant handling temperatures as low as -4 to 113 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Although both are powered by AC using adapters, Arlo Pro 2 has a battery option, which is advantageous when there is a power blackout. You can also pair the Arlo Pro up with Arlo Solar panel to cut down energy costs as well as protect the environment.
- Arlo Pro 2 has a better field of view at 130 degrees while Wyze cam has 110 degrees giving you more clarity
- Although both cameras have a video resolution of 1080p, Arlo Pros 2 has a higher picture quality thanks to its FPS of 30 while Wyze has 15.
- While both models offer free cloud storage, Wyze Cam v2 is better than Arlo because it gives you 14 days of free cloud storage plus all its features at no additional cost. However, Arlo Pro only gives you 7 days free, and if you wish to use features such as package detection, for example, you pay a monthly fee of $2.99 per camera.
- Both models provide local storage but with different terms. For instance, Wyze Cam allows you to install a microSD card into your smart camera to get 24/7 continuous video recording. While Arlo Pro 2 uses USB for local storage which you plug in into the Arlo Pro 2 base station. If the motion is detected, Arlo Pro 2 saves a video clip to both on the cloud and USB. But it saves on the cloud by default, then on the USB.
- If you want to use a USB for 24/7 continuous video recording with Arlo Pro 2, you need to subscribe to Arlo’s cloud CVR plan for $9.99 per month per camera.
Both Wyze Cam, Nest, and Arlo baby monitor stream high quality 1080p HD videos. Wyze Cam, however, has less recording speed at 15 frames per second and Nest and Arlo’s recording speed is 30 and 15 frames per second respectively. Unlike Nest, Wyze Cam’s cloud storage is free for up to 14 days. Nest Cam cloud storage is as high as $30 per camera but perhaps the most important differentiation is the fact that Nest allows 24/7 streaming. Wyze Cam does not support continuous streaming but records 12-seconds clips when triggered by an event such as motion. You can find all the details of the differences between Wyze Cam, Nest, and Arlo baby monitor.
|1080p HD||1080-p HD||1080p HD|
|15 fps||30 fps||25 fps|
|110 degrees field of view for V1 and V2 and
120 degrees field of view for Wyze Cam pan
with pan and 90 degrees tilt
|130 degrees pan||130 degrees|
|14 days of free cloud cloud storage||3 hours of free cloud storage||24 hours of cloud storage|
|Local storage with microSD||No local storage||No local storage|
|Night vision filters||Night vision filters||Night vision filters|
|Two way audio||Two way audio||Two way audio|
|Time lapese is available with a MicroSD Card or with MaxDrive||Time lapse available with Nest Aware subscription||Not available|
The major difference between Nanit and Wyze Camera monitors is that Nanit has more advanced features other than relaying video of your baby.
Can Wyze Cam get hacked?
Wyze Cam is a wi-fi security camera that sends its data to AWS cloud (storage provider) through a third-party IoT services (transmission) provider. The data is sent securely using AES-128 bit encryption that requires two-factor authentication. The Two-factor authentication feature is currently available to Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam Pan.
In brief, Wyze Cam can be hacked as it uses an advanced encryption standard but not the latest one, AES-256. This makes it vulnerable as hackers have been able to get access to 128-bit encrypted data before as you may have heard of Nest Cam Indoor camera hacking. However, I have provided some tips that you can take to be safe below. As I always tell our readers here at 10BabyGear, let the security start with you and for that to happen, start by making sure the home security network is secure and all passwords are strong and safely stored in an encrypted medium.
Wyze Cam uses AES-128 bit encryption which is the second-best encryption standard available in the market in 2019. While we can just believe (without fully verifying that a third party such as ThroughTrek is not eavesdropping), it is important to note that Wyze Cam’s aim as a brand is to develop cheap, mass-market cams. This can come at a cost but so are all the wifi baby monitors that do not use chip encryption or the 256-bit encryption. Other security cameras that use 128-bit encryption standard are Nest Cams.
To conclude, Wyze Cam is not the most secure wifi security monitor in the market but you can follow the following steps to ensure your data cannot be randomly accessed:
- Use WPA or WPA2 and not WEP
- Change the device default password
- Ensure you are using a home, secured wifi network
Wyze Cam Firmware (Updating, Download & Alternatives)
Wyze Cam uses OpenIPC firmware which is an open firmware extension for Wyze cameras. To get the OpenIPC firmware, you need to obtain the correctly configured SD card and does not require wifi or QR code. With OpenIPC, you can now have OpenIPC comes out of the box with RTSP, SSH, Telnet, NFS, and a web interface to manage it all. My favorite of all the features is the RTSP.
“OpenIPC started out of the necessity to connect cheap off the shelf IP cameras with existing professional VMS systems and installations. “
You can, however, choose to go with the default Wyze Cam firmware which you can download on Wyze Cam website here. By opting to go with the default Wyze cam, Wyze Cam v2, and Wyze Cam Pan firmware you leave the Wyze cam firmware alternatives which may pose a security risk (especially if you don’t follow all the required steps correctly).
Is Wyze Cam waterproof?
One of the biggest difference between the outdoor security cameras and Wyze Cam, Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam pan is that all the three Wyze Cam brands are not waterproof. Nest outdoor and Arlo outdoor cameras are waterproof and do well at extreme temperature conditions, unlike Wyze Cams which is not waterproof. Again, Wyze Cams are not rated for use outdoors. You can, however, get Wyze Cam waterproof case but the case is only available only to Wyze Cam and Wyze Cam 2.
Can Wyze Cam records without Wifi?
Wyze Cam can record to the SD card if you already set up the camera to allow Continous Video Recording (CVD) by plugging in the microSD card which supports live recording. It can record 24/7 once it’s set up and you can rely on it even you lose connection.
Traditional wifi-dependent cameras such as Arlo baby do not record when there is no wifi because it does not support micro-SD based Continous Video Recording. Arlo cameras with a base station are however able to record without wifi. The Arlo security cameras with a base station and can record without internet are Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2 and Arlo Ultra 4K.
Wyze Cam Power Source & Requirements – Batteries, Solar & AC
There has been a lot of anticipation that Wyze cam would release Wyze cams powered by a battery. An update posted on Wyze’s website in November 2018 indicated that Wyze are still looking into a Wyze cam battery and designing Wyze Cam with or using battery power.
All the current models of Wyze Cam are powered by AC and need to be plugged in to record and transmit the video of your baby to your app or to record it to the microSD card. This is one of the reasons why Wyze Cam cannot be used outdoors as it is not powered by batteries and you won’t find AC plugs outdoors.
For those excited about a Wyze Cam powered by solar power, it is too early in July 2019 and Wyze Cam are yet to release solar-powered Wyze cam nor have there been reports of Wyze Cam using solar power. Someone has however managed to build a solar-powered Wyze cam by purchasing a few pieces of equipment on Amazon such as a Wyze Cam solar panel. You can follow how he was able to do it on the Wyze forums here.
Wyze Cam Google Home Hub Compatibility
In July 2019, Wyze Cam joined a list of Google-approved baby monitors and security cameras. Approved cameras such as Arlo, Kasa Cam and now Wyze Cam are compatible with the Google Home Hub and all you need to do is integrate it and get the Google Assistant to assist you to monitor your baby.
The video below shows how you can stream your baby video footage on Google Home hub:
You should note that only Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam pan are the only Google Home compatible Wyze brands.
Here is how you can enhance your smart home with Wyze Cam devices:
With Google Assistant, you can use voice commands to control smart home features and devices such as the Wyze Cam v2, Wyze Cam pan, and the Wyze Bulbs. Video footage from the two Wyze Cam brands can be streamed on devices with inbuilt Chromecast or using the Chromecast that plugs into smart tv. You should, however, note that unlike Nest and Arlo, Wyze does not currently support streaming of footage to Google Home App.
Control your Wyze Bulbs with Google Assistant or stream your Wyze Cams through your Google Home Hub, Smart device with built-in Chromecast, or even a standard screen with a Chromecast dongle. At this time, the Google Assistant integration does not support camera streaming into the Google Home App.
Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam Pan are currently two of 10BabyGear’s pick for Google Home compatible cameras.
Streaming Wyze Cam Videos To Phone, TV (Chromecast), PC or Mac
As of this publication, you can only stream Wyze cam footage to your smartphone Wyze App and to your Google Home and Alexa Home compatible devices. You can also stream Wyze cam videos to devices with inbuilt Chromecast or you can purchase the external Chromecast and connect it to your Wyze cam to smart tv and start streaming to your tv.
Unfortunately, it is currently impossible to stream Wyze cam footage to PC or Mac devices but with a Wyze firmware alternative such as OpenIPC and apps such as TinyCam you can aces Wyze cam footage on PC and Mac devices as well. OpenIPC, open-source firmware for off-the-shelf IP cameras such as Wyze Cam has developed a feature that allows you to access Real-Time Streaming Protocol feature (RTSP). You should, however, note that since June 2019, you can activate RTSP feature on the app as the Wyze App has been upgraded. RTSP will allow you to stream Wyze live footage across multiple devices simultaneously but this has actually been a possibility since April 2019. A Wyze App update (v 2.3) enabled RTSP and Two-factor authentication. As of this publication in July 2019, Wyze cam does not currently integrate with Smartthings.
Video Recording from Wyze Cam to Google Drive
Wyze does not currently allow you to save video recordings on any file storing location such as Google Drive. Some users have however found a way to sore their data to the cloud using apps such as TinyCam which can allow you to not just store data on the cloud and also stream to browser or to TV. You can read how to use TinyCam here.
Wyze Cam Pan
In 2018, Wyze Cam had received customer feedback to add the pan and tilt capabilities to the original Wyze Cam and they went ahead and launched a Wyze Cam model with pan and tilt feature. It cost just $10 more than the original Wyze Cam v2. The dimensions of Wyze Cam Pan, 5.02″ x 2.36″ x 2.36″ are significantly higher than Wyze Cam v1 and v2 which measures 2.2″ x 1.97″ x 1.97″
On June 12, 2019, Wyze Cam updated the original Wyze Cam and now Wyze Cam is compatible with Google Home and Alexa Home.
The latest Wyze Cam weights just 91 grams compared to other cameras that are made of heavy metal and a magnetic base such as Nest and Amazon Cloud Cam.
Unlike traditional baby monitor brands such as Motorola, VTech or Samsung, Wyze cam did two things that allowed it to cut its price by more than 90%.
In July 2019, Wyze Cam had an update and the video below describes the additional features that you with Wyze Cam:
In brief below are some of the recent updates that make Wyze Cam an undeniable leader in the webcam baby monitor space:
- Integration with Google Home and Alexa
- Multi-screen viewing
- Person detection
Unlike other security cameras such as Nest that provide snapshots of events, Wyze Cameras stores generic stock photo and finding photos for evidence can be quite a hassle. To get to an event, you, therefore, need to watch the entire video clips to find the single clip you want.
Motion triggered recording lasts for only 12 seconds but you can make the setting to record on demand which can last as long as there is space.
Wyze Cam Motion Tagging
Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam pan have an additional motion tagging feature. Motion tagging feature essentially detects any moving object and create a small box around where movement is detected and it follows the object until it is out of Wyze recording view. Unlike Nest which has 30 frames per second recording speed, essentially double the Wyze Cam’s 15 fps rate, Wyze Cam’s pictures can get pixelated and lose focus as it gets tracked.
Wyze Cam Cloud storage:
When you purchase any Wyze Cameras, you get 14 days of free cloud storage and your video footage will be stored with AWS. You can, however, opt for local storage by purchasing a microSD card or a hard drive. Compared to Arlo which offers 7 days of cloud storage and Nest with offers only three hours of free cloud storage Wyze cams storage plan is very cheap. It is even cheaper than Ring, the security cameras that offer cheaper plans than Arlo and Nest. Ring has a free plan and the paid plan allows you to access up to 60 days of cloud storage for just $3 per month.
Wyze Cam Homekit
As of July 2019, Wyze Cam does not currently integrate with Apple Homekit. In July 2019, Wyze Cam managed to integrate with Google Home after it had already integrated with Alexa Home. Below is an update from Wyze Cam associate who highlights that Wyze would like to have Wyze cams integrated with Apple’s Homekit and are currently working to get this done.
Below is the snapshot of Wyze’s associate response to a question regarding whether Wyze Cam integrates with Apple Homekit smartphone other than Google Home and Alexa.
Wyze Cam Motion Zones
Wyze Cam pan introduced motion zones aimed at reducing false alarms. One way of reducing false alerts is setting the camera to remove alerts when you are home. You can indicate the times you are at home. You can create the schedule using IFTTT, a free web-based service to create chains of simple conditional statements, called applets
Wyze Cam Mount Options: Window, Wall, Mounting kit & Tripod mount
Wyze Cam Pan has a tripod mount which makes it easy to mount it. All you need is a tripod mountable screw. You screw the tripod into the Wyze cam and you’re all set. Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam pan also have magnetic bases similar to Logitech and Nest that allow you to install them on any metal surface.
When you purchase Wyze Cam, it comes with 3M adhesive tape that to install on a wooden surface, glass surfaces such as window, or other non-metal surfaces in your baby’s nursery. You will find the Wyze cam mounting kit on the packaging that comes with the camera.
Aside from the mounting kit that comes with your Wyze cam, you can also purchase Wyze Cam wall mounting bracket that comes with a protective case. The protective case will allow you to use Wyze Cam as an outdoor security camera. You can check my favorite Wyze cam wall mounting kit for Wyze cam v1 and v2 on Amazon here.
MaxDrive is a personal cloud device that was set to be released by Wyze Cam before its cancellation. It had been advertised as a backup of footage from your Wyze Cam and files from your devices (phone, tablet, or PC) and access the data from any location.
As of this update in July 2020, there hasn’t been any update released by Wyze company regarding the release of Wyze MaxDrive. In April 2019, it released the following statement:
We’ve got some unfortunate news for those that were interested in MaxDrive. MaxDrive is being delayed from the targeted Q2 release date and we are currently uncertain of how long the delay will be.
As many of you know, at Wyze we focus on building great products efficiently. To do this, we leverage resources from global partners when possible.
Our partner for MaxDrive has faced an unexpected delay that requires them to shift their resources.
We’ll continue to work on features that will allow you to store videos locally to a NAS device and keep you updated as the project develops with MaxDrive or a new solution.Wyze Cam Statement on delayed Wyze MaxDrive
The future release date of Wyze MaxDrive (if there will be) has not been announced by Wyze.
How it was to work?
For Wyze Cam footage, you link your Wyze Cam using the Wyze app, and you will be able to view it as Playback through the Wyze App.
You use MaxDrive mobile app (Android or iOS) to back up Personal files (Pictures, Video, Music, and Documents) from your phones or tablet.
For computer backup for your files, you use the MaxDrive desktop app (for PC and Mac).
Internet Connectivity: Gigabit Ethernet Port x1
Drive Connection: SATA 3.0 x1
Processor: Marvell ARMADA Dual-core 1.0 GHz
Supports up to 12TB drives
Supports 2.5″ & 3.5″ SATA 3.0 HDD & SSD internal drives
What you need to know before getting started:
MaxDrive only supports:
- Wyze Cam v2
- Wyze Cam Pan
Wyze Cam backup requires a microSD card to be in the selected camera.
MaxDrive does not come with an internal drive, so you need to buy one for it.
Wyze Cam Chromecast
Chromecast is a large thumb drive-sized dongle that plugs into a smart television HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) port. It allows you to stream media from your computer or mobile device through your home Wifi network and onto your TV screen.
Since Wyze started working with Google Assistant, users can stream their cameras into any smart devices with a built-in Chrome cast or on any screen connected to a Chromecast dongle.
Your Android phone or iOS acts the remote for controlling and selecting the Wyze Cam footage you see and hear on your TV screen or any other screen provided you have Wifi.
Is Wyze Cam waterproof?
No, Wyze Cam is not waterproof that is why it is only for indoor use
Can Wyze Cam record without Wifi?
Yes, but for optimal monitoring, you need Wifi connection. You can use a Wifi connection to set up and configure your Wyze Cam in the Wyze app. Once the camera is configured and you have inserted the microSD card, turn the local recording to microSD card on. The camera will record continuously, even without Wifi.
However, with the Wyze Cam working offline, you will not be able to connect to the camera from your Wyze app. This means you will also not view or stream or receive any notification. The camera also will not be able to save any alerts to the cloud, and your sound and motion monitoring will be compromised.
To view the recorded footage, you can connect back the Wifi network the camera was set up in and use the playback feature in the Wyze app, or remove the microSD card from your Wyze Cam to view the videos in mp4 format on a computer.
When you reinsert the microSD card to your Wyze Cam, it will resume continuous recording. When the space is almost full, the camera will overwrite the oldest footage on file.
So although the camera can record offline, you need Wifi for optimal monitoring.
Wyze Cam power requirements
Wyze Cam uses 5V 1A DC power, and it comes with a 6 foot micro USB cable and 110V wall outlet plug.
How to view Wyze recordings
Wyze recordings are done on the cloud and the Micro SD card inserted into the camera. If you check at the bottom when your Wyze app is open, there is a tab for Notifications. Here you get all the alerts that are saved in the cloud.
To view recording from SD, go to the Devices tab and click on the camera, then the View Playback button at the bottom.
The timeline slider is located just below the video.
Tap and drag the timeline to view recorded video from any point in time.
Alternatively, you can tap the date button to select a specific date in the calendar view.
The times with available video footage are highlighted in color on the timeline.
You can zoom and pinch on the timeline to change the scale of the timeline to help you select a specific point in time easily. This is particularly helpful if you have 1-minute increments based on the Record events only setting.
You can use the < and > buttons to move to the previous or next event in the timeline. This is helpful when the camera is set to Record events only.
Wyze Cam Alexa
It is possible to connect your Wyze Cam to Alexa and utilize the Amazon Alexa virtual assistant and the Echo Show tablet that can make it very easy to monitor your baby. See the video below describing how Wyze Cam can be connected to Alexa:
Wyze Cam FAQs
Yes. You can use any of the three brands of Wyze Cam baby monitors as a baby monitor. Follow the instructions given in this article. For Google Home Hub and Alexa compatible monitor, pick the Wyze Cam Pan 1080p HD camera above.
I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at 10BabyGear. I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.